Author Topic: Ash - Application Method  (Read 3971 times)

Tea

Ash - Application Method
« on: November 20, 2008, 07:18:51 PM »
I have been trying some different cheeses, and I tried one a couple of weeks ago that was an ash brie.  It was really nice and I was hoping to replicate the cheese, but was wondering how to get the ash onto the cheese.  From the outside you could not see any ash, but once you cut into the cheese there was a layer just under the white mould.
I was thinking that maybe rolling the cheese in the ash while still wet from the brine would probably be the time to do it?
Has anyone tried ashing a cheese like this before, and if so, what were your experiences?

Cheese Head

Re: Ash - Application Method
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 11:43:24 AM »
I've seen ashed cheeses in stores but sorry never applied / made on. When I was kid and complained about the toast being accidentally burnt black, my Dad said don't worry it's still good for you as the charcoal cleans your blood :o.

No idea if that is true, anyway, how did it work out and did you get your ash from your Cheese Making Supply Store in Australia?

Tea

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 08:18:08 PM »
I can't see ash on their order forms, and I was going to ring them before ordering overseas, as with the Aussie dollar like it is, everything is going to cost an arm and a leg.  sigh
Cheesemaking.com has some ash but I keep holding off hoping that the dollar might revive a bit before buying.  I think I am dreaming though.

bundy

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 01:29:25 AM »
my next door neighbour is a naturopath and told me that ash or activated charcoal should be available from a health shop,but she has only seen them in tab. form.so Tea it may be worth a try before trying over seas.
Frank

wharris

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 01:55:52 AM »
Ash is a food grade activated charcoal.  You can find it for sale here

Tea

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 08:47:47 PM »
Thanks everyone for your imput, and thanks Wayne for the link.  That is where I was going to buy from.
I realise that it is activated charcoal, but I like to see what the original product looks like before I decide whether I can substitute it with a like product.
Will let you know what I decide to do.

Cheese Head

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 06:23:38 PM »
Kind of a goofy idea, but our under the sink filter / reverse osmosis / filter system for drinking water, the filters are activated charcoal filters that should be food grade. Not sure what the grind size is though as I've never torn one apart. Another idea is aquarium supply shops, they should also have it, but again not sure what size it is. You can also get powdered activated charcoal here in US on eBay, checked eBay.com.au couldn't find any but did get link to Oz manufacturer, maybe you could phone them: www.activatedcarbon.com.au.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 12:44:57 PM »
Most health food stores also carry charcoal in capsule form and you could open the capsules.  Iratherfly is clear that you want to avoid using too much or it creates a chalky gritty experience on the teeth and a mess on the mouth.  He recommends mixing it with the salt.  I did see a photo on some website Valencay recipe page of some guy ashing some cheeses using one of those small mesh strainers.  You know the ones I mean?   About 2-3 inches across with a handle.....sometimes used to strain tea whe the regular tea strainer is missing.  anyway, he had charcoal in it and was tapping it while holding it over the cheese.  Seemed a good way to do a fine but even dusting so I filed the idea away for future use.  Hope this helps but this thread is old so perhaps you've now figured out an even better idea that you can share.

margaretsmall

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 10:31:30 PM »
I asked about this recently on another thread, and Iratherfly said that the charcoal tablets/capsules would be fine. Buy at any chemist. He suggests mixing the charcoal  with the salt  in the proportion of 5:1 (ie if you are going to sprinkle your cheese with 5 gm salt, then add 1g charcoal. I gather the PC/Geo grows over the charcoal coating, which is why you can't see it until you cut the cheese. This is theoretical on my part, still on my to-do list. However, I do have a bottle of 250mg charcoal tablets, and according to the label the tablets contain sucrose and lactose (but in unspecified amounts), so I reckon about half a tablet would be about right for that amount of salt. Bashed up of course. Using a tea strainer seems like a good idea.
Margaret