Author Topic: Another new Dutch lever press  (Read 4558 times)

Brentsbox

Another new Dutch lever press
« on: September 22, 2010, 11:07:08 AM »
Well, its always fun to see what someone else has done, so here it is.  I started out building this out of scrap wood i had before i invested in some nice hard wood, just to see if i was happy with the design.  I thought it just kept getting better and better and now im happy enough that i just may keep it for a while.  It's made mostly from 2x4s and some scraps of birch plywood that I had. The plunger is made of oak.  I plan to add a pulley system to it this weekend like  boofer and others have done. 

Right now im on the final press of a block of Romano at 45 lbs with just 10 lbs on the end.  I put a baggy on the plunger so it wouldnt get stained up from the oil in the milk.  I need to put some sort of finish on it or its all going to get messed up in no time.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 11:19:08 AM by Brentsbox »

KosherBaker

Re: Another new Dutch lever press
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 07:31:40 PM »
Hmmm your design makes me feel like I've way overcomplicated mine. ???

Good Job on the press. Have you stuck a scale underneath it yet to see how much weight you get from just the arm and the plunger and then also test the weight?

Brentsbox

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 07:39:12 PM »
with just the arm and know weights, i get 10 lbs of pressure with the plunger pressing on the scale.  10 lbs of weight gives me 44 lbs with the plunger pressing on the scale.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 08:16:37 PM »
In my spreadsheet, I incorporated the weight of just the empty lever and ramrod into my calcs since it was non-trivial at 11 pounds. Brentsbox, sounds like you're about the same.

Way to go with the press. Nothing like a nice handmade piece of equipment.  :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 01:05:08 AM »
Now that is a simple but effective press.