Author Topic: Cream of Cauliflower and Blue Cheese  (Read 2628 times)

anutcanfly

Cream of Cauliflower and Blue Cheese
« on: October 16, 2011, 12:20:37 AM »
Cream of Cauliflower Soup with Blue Cheese

This is a great recipe for using failed cheeses!  This is where I used the cambozolas that failed to set curd.  I froze it in 1 cup packets and substituted the milk and cream with it.  Really comes out awesome! 

Ingredients:
   1 medium head of cauliflower
   1 Tbsp canola oil
   1 medium yellow onion, chopped
   2 cloves garlic, chopped
   2 stalks celery chopped
   1 baking potato, peeled and thinly sliced
   2 cups chicken broth
   ¼ cup white wine
   ½ cup milk
   ½ cup heavy cream
   3 ounces blue cheese
   sea salt and white pepper to taste
   snipped fresh chives for garnish

Cut the cauliflower into florets. Separate about ¾ cup of the smaller florets and coarsely chop the rest and reserve. In a medium saucepan of bowling water, parboil the small florets just 2-3 minutes and then rinse         immediately under cold running water. Set aside for garnish.
   Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and sweat the aromatics: onion, garlic, leek and celery, just about 5 minutes, until they are translucent, but not brown.
   Add the potato, chopped cauliflower, broth and wine. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the flame and simmer until the potatoes and cauliflower are tender, about 15 minutes.
   Add the milk and cream and slowly bring the mixture almost to a simmer. Stir in the blue cheese a bit at a time until it melts.
   Purée in blender—needs to be very smooth to be great!
   Now taste and add salt and white pepper to taste (1 tsp salt was good).
   Ladle into serving bowls and garnish with the reserved florets and snipped chive.

beechercreature

Re: Cream of Cauliflower and Blue Cheese
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 02:11:23 PM »
I'm enjoying a bowl of this right now. It's mighty tasty.

Thanks for the recipe.

anutcanfly

Re: Cream of Cauliflower and Blue Cheese
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 04:34:33 PM »
 :) Thank you