Author Topic: Hi from Manitoba Canada.  (Read 992 times)

Mouldy

Hi from Manitoba Canada.
« on: September 26, 2010, 04:03:30 PM »
Hi all, I'm so happy to find this forum! I live on mixed farm and have a Brown Swiss cow so raw fresh milk is in great supply! I've made a few cheeses but love to see what others are doing. Also will be grateful for a place to get feed back when I have issues.

Cheese Head

Re: Hi from Manitoba Canada.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 05:00:05 PM »
Hiya Mouldy from Houston, welcome!

I'm from Vancouver and my wife's from Calgary but these days we live in Houston suburbia, no animals. In early Sep after dropping our daughter at Edmonton to start college she drove with her sister & brother in law to SW Manitoba for Labour Day weekend to see their cabin, long drive! Also, her brother and family live in Winnipeg, also when I phone IT dept for computer help at my employer, I get HP in Winnepeg, so I guess all roads lead to Manitoba!

Lots of info here, Search tool is your friend, there is a how to use it optimally in the FAQ section, if you can't find an answer to your problem there is a Problems/Solutions Board if you want to get some fast support.

zenith1

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 04:12:46 PM »
Hi Mouldy-welcome to the forum. I have no experience with milk from that breed-what would you say is the average milk fat content?

Mouldy

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 09:19:03 PM »
With Swiss low to mid 4 % butter fat is the norm. They tend to be higher then a Holstein but lower then a Jersey. I managed to kill a 4 pound cheddar last night. I had set in the oven to air dry and forgot and preheated the oven. So sad.

Mondequay

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 10:39:53 PM »
Four pounds of melted cheddar? I hope you could at least salvage some for a mac 'n cheese. I've had other things get preheated in the oven by accident. Now when I put something in there I stick a Post-it note to the door so it won't happen again!

Welcome to the forum; I hope all your cheeses are successes!
Christine