Author Topic: Clabbered Milk question?  (Read 2927 times)

Offline Aris

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
Clabbered Milk question?
« on: September 27, 2010, 07:30:04 AM »
How many days would a Clabbered Milk would last before it spoils? I have mine stored in the fridge at 10 c.

linuxboy

Re: Clabbered Milk question?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 01:49:28 PM »
Clabbered milk is already "spoiled" in one sense (it's controlled spoilage). Do you mean how long before it wouldn't make cheese? It can always make cheese, it just depends on the type of cheese you're making. If you have acidophilus in there, it will acidify to a low pH (below 4), which will kill off other lactic bacteria. What do you mean by "spoil"?

Offline Aris

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 03:41:49 PM »
Clabbered milk is already "spoiled" in one sense (it's controlled spoilage). Do you mean how long before it wouldn't make cheese? It can always make cheese, it just depends on the type of cheese you're making. If you have acidophilus in there, it will acidify to a low pH (below 4), which will kill off other lactic bacteria. What do you mean by "spoil"?
Sorry i didnt made myself clear. I know clabbered milk is already spoiled. What i meant is spoiled spoiled. Its the time when it becomes inedible and cant be used as a starter culture because of over fermentation. For example yogurt, it becomes inedible when you store it  in the fridge for almost a week.

I also have another question. Can i still use frozen clabbered milk then thawed for cheesemaking? Will the bacteria survive the freezing temperature?

Thanks in advance,
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 03:53:07 PM by Aris »

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 04:04:54 PM »
Oh got it. For use as a starter, a week (7 days) is about the max. I try to not go more than 5 days. But that's at 3-4C storage. At 10 C storage, you'd get 4-5 days, and you have to refrigerate as soon as you hit the right pH of 4.6-4.7.

My yogurt lasts 6-10 weeks in the fridge and still taste good stored at 2C. So it depends on your methods and temperature.

Yes, freezing is the best approach if you want longer term storage.

Offline Aris

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 01:15:02 AM »
Thank you very much for the info. I keep my fridge's temp at 10 c, no wonder my yogurts never last that long.

justsocat

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 03:19:10 PM »
I store my clabber cultures frozen at -8C up to 3 months and they do make cheeses of the same taste and flavour.