Author Topic: Could this be Limburger  (Read 3798 times)

umgowa

Could this be Limburger
« on: September 27, 2010, 09:16:35 PM »
My wife just brought home this cheese that looks to me like brie but it's flavor is richer and gamier and stronger than brie.  It has the outside hard white crusty exterior that brie has but the flavor is richer and gamier.  My question is this . . . could this stuff be Limburger?  The label said it's from England.  I know my English Grandfather lover Limburger cheese . . . but I've never had any.  Could this stuff possibly be Limburger?  Thanks for any feedback.

umgowa

Re: Could this be Limburger
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 07:38:42 PM »
Well, since no one has responded to this . . . I went to Google Images and looked up images of Limburger cheese . . . and yes indeed much of the stuff does indeed look like Brie . . . No one wated to tell me so I just looked it up myself.  Hard white crusty stuff on the outside and soft creamy interior . . shaped in a circle.  Now my only question is this.  How does the taste of Limburger compare to Brie?  Is it fuller, riper, sharper?  I would really like some feedback from someone with some experience here.  Thanks.

Brentsbox

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 08:25:31 PM »
Most people that I know say they cant get past the smell.  I have never tried it but my grand dad use to love it. Wiki has some interesting stuff to say about it

I did not realize that it got creamy with age.  Ill have to try it the next time im at the cheese store. 

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 08:55:31 PM »
Here is the definitive discussion on Limburger:
http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,1077.msg7584.html#msg7584
Easy to tell if it's the real thing.

wharris

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 01:27:44 PM »
That thread brought back memories. 
I laughed yet again.

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 03:22:06 PM »
Me too. I forgot how entertaining it is!

Alex

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 04:50:51 PM »
These are two of my different Limburgers, The smell is as it should be - it stinks!

umgowa

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2010, 04:45:24 PM »
Thanks, Alex, for the very helpful response . . . . I can see  from your photos that your Limburger has little holes in it like baby swiss?  . . . . doesn't it also often take on a creamy weepy, viscous character like brie?

umgowa

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 06:29:44 PM »
For those of you above who have experience eating Limburger, my question is this:  I know that the sense of smell is closely associated with the sense of taste so If it stinks so bad, what is the appeal?  Is it that the flavor is so wonderful that it compensates for the terrible smell?  Or perhaps the flavor somehow manages to complement the terrible smell producing a combined sensation which is wonderful?  I'm very interested because this was my grandfathers (now dead)  favorite cheese And I just want to know more about it before I try it.  Thanks.

Alex

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 06:37:18 PM »
The little holes are too many on this specific cheese. The texture is soft and creamy but not like a Brie.
The Limburger and Munster are cheeses that you like or they make you sick. These  are the type of cheeses I mostly like.

wharris

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 01:53:02 PM »
For those of you above who have experience eating Limburger, my question is this:  I know that the sense of smell is closely associated with the sense of taste so If it stinks so bad, what is the appeal?

Having tasted this, I will say that the taste is almost, (but not quite) as bad as the smell.  The bonus is that the aftertaste stays with you for a good long while as reminder of your follies..

But, I guess it is an acquired taste. I would suppose, given enough peer pressure, I would eat it again.  I mean, if I was raised on it, and everyone around me was eating it for lunch (like the old days), then I could envision myslef eating it more regularly.

But the fact is,  nobody I know eats this today.  So it remains a stinky oddity.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 03:54:45 AM »
I remember that thread! Alex almost had me convince to make it - then Dave posted that thread and I had the chance to smell it through TWO layers of protective coatings in a WIsconsin Cheese Factory store and well ... Alex makes it!  ;D

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 11:54:06 PM »
I guess we all perceive smell/taste differently. My DH loves Limburger and I can barely stand to be in the same room with it. I know I'm going to have to make it someday for him as it's impossible to find locally.
He also likes Camemberts after they have developed that strong amoniac smell that makes me gag. So, go figure!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2010, 03:42:05 AM »
It is a good thing we all have different tastes or we would have so many choices!