Author Topic: Drying blue cheese question  (Read 1689 times)

Offline Aris

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
Drying blue cheese question
« on: September 29, 2010, 07:16:10 AM »
I cant air dry because its very hot here in the Philippines, average temp is 32 c and insects are also a problem. Is it ok to dry blue cheese inside the fridge at 10 c and how long should i dry for a Stilton type cheese?

linuxboy

Re: Drying blue cheese question
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 07:24:21 AM »
Why are you drying Stilton? I don't exactly follow. 10C is OK for aging, but a little cool for the initial acidification period. What process are you using?

Offline Aris

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 12:15:33 PM »
I've read somewhere in this forum that they let their stilton drain outside inside the hoop at room temperature hence drying it at a certain degree.

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 12:36:45 PM »
Yes, that's true, it sits for about 5 days in the mold. But that doesn't dry it very much at all as the room humidity is still at least 60%, and it's not very exposed to the air in the mold. The point of letting it be in the mold is to let the cheese take a shape and lose moisture, and also develop acidity. Now that I understand what you mean, no 10C is too low of a temperature. You need to be around 17C. If you have no other way to regulate temperature, try 10C; it's much better than 32.