Author Topic: My 1st attempt at farmhouse cheddar  (Read 3334 times)

Ken

My 1st attempt at farmhouse cheddar
« on: September 29, 2010, 10:19:36 AM »
I have been reading lots of these threads on the forum and also managed to sign up for an advanced cheese making course in Coffs Harbour, Australia. But the course is in the latter part of november. I can't wait that long so am diving in and am going to try a cheddar this weekend, it is also a long weekend for us.

I really like the idea of sailor's where you press under whey first. I was wondering, am I supposed to keep the whey warm ofter the salting of the 'chips' or is there another way?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: My 1st attempt at farmhouse cheddar
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 12:45:47 AM »
You press under the whey before draining. Not really his idea it's been done 100's of years. This is especially usefully for washed curd cheeses.

Ken

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 06:18:19 AM »
Well, here it is, my first attempt. looks like it has knitted together really well

Brentsbox

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 10:59:03 AM »
That looks really great!  what kind of mould or basket did you use to get that pattern?

Mondequay

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 12:06:56 PM »
Looks great! Hope it tastes even better!  :D

MrsKK

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 12:47:00 PM »
It is beautiful.  I, too, would like to see the mold or basket used, as it created a lovely pattern on the cheese.

Ken

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 09:08:42 PM »
There is a cheesemaking supply shop near melbourne, Australia. I got the 1kg mould from there. I do agree that the pattern is very nice.   ;D

ancksunamun

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 09:11:14 PM »
Hi Ken

Are you able to advise the name of the store you got this from as we are visiting Melbourne in 6 weeks and I am keen to take a look.

Great cheese BTW!

wharris

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 09:33:54 PM »
I love the pattern.  I notice that you have the same yellow/white mottled look that I get with my stirred curd cheddars...

ancksunamun

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 09:47:59 PM »
I also get these Wayne. Just finished two Farmhouse Cheddars and have the same mottled effect though it has reduced slightly with drying.

Ken

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 03:12:41 AM »
Sorry, I forgot to include the store name. it is www.cheeselinks.com.au . then click on their online store. It is also where I get most cheesemaking related gear from.
I have seen a few cheeses on the forum with the mottled appearance,. No idea why though. If anyone finds out how they rectify this?
 The cheese was dry enough today for me to wax. Now the great wait...

justsocat

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 12:52:23 PM »
I always have yellow/white mottled look with my classic cheddar. And it always turn into good yellow during air drying. I was sure it's normal, isn't it?

Ken

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2010, 11:05:42 PM »
I decided to open up the 150gm cheddar and see how it is progressing. It hasn't got the mottled appearance anymore but does have tiny eyes in it, is this caused by gas development? The taste is a very, very mild tasting cheddar. But on the whole I am quite pleased with it. I don't think I will open the 1kilo cheddar for another couple of months, maybe around Christmas.  ;D

wharris

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2010, 05:34:40 PM »
While I have heard of it happening, Cheddar typically does not form eyes.

You probable do not have occlusions in your cheese due to traditional eye formation.
More probably you have varying degrees of openess in your curd.  That is, mechanical gaps in the curd where curd never knit.

can you post a picture?

Ken

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2010, 09:52:34 AM »
Sorry Wayne, you are right, I mixed up my terms. Thanks for the pick up. When I first saw it I immediately thought of the curd not fully knitting. Anyway here is a pic (sorry about the quality I am still getting used to it). I tasted the small cheese again today and it taste mostly like mild cheddar with a hint of a matureness (the cheese I am talking about is only about 100-150 grams). I havn't tasted the 1kg cheddar yet. might do it on the weekend.