Author Topic: First Camms  (Read 1145 times)

ConnieG

First Camms
« on: September 30, 2010, 02:56:22 PM »
I made my first camms using the recipe from Ricki Carroll's book.  Unfortunately I don't have the cave temps correct yet but things seemed to progress well.  I bought a cheap, small hygrometer for less than $20 here:  http://www.cheaphumidors.com/p_digital-hygrometers_CALIBER3.html that fits into the aging box for the camms. 

When the time came to wrap and put into the colder cave, a piece of the rind tore open I thought that meant it would no longer age so I went ahead and opened that cheese.  [well it's a good excuse to see what's inside at this age  ::)]  The texture is dry but has the right smell and a nice rind development.  Of course the flavor isn't there.

I am wondering if age causes the characteristic runniness of the cheese?

Oberhasli

Re: First Camms
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 04:23:38 PM »
Connie, as these cams age they will become softer and runnier the longer you let them sit.  They also get a bit stronger taste.  It sounds like yours cheeses are coming along nicely for their age. They will get softer along the outside and it will eventually get very soft all over and you can tell when you press lightly on the center, compared to the firmness it still has now. 

Good luck with your cheeses - Camembert is definitely my favorite!

Bonnie