Author Topic: Salt, Flaked - Why & When Use?  (Read 3020 times)

wharris

Salt, Flaked - Why & When Use?
« on: November 22, 2008, 11:56:59 PM »
I am getting ready to make a brined cheese.

Can someone explain to me why I need to buy "flaked" salt, and not use normal table salt for the creation of the salt water brine?

Actually, i have the same question for all salt applications in cheese making. 

Why do i need "Flaked" salt at all?

bundy

Re: Salt, Flaked - Why & When Use?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 12:12:42 AM »
Hi Wayne
 i just use grain sea salt which i buy from my local butchers supplier 25kg bag $10 AUST
make sure it's not iodised salt.
Frank

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 11:55:00 AM »
Wayne, I was also curious on this so I amalgamated some info into a webpage on salt here. Like Bundy says, my understanding is that you don't want Iodized Salt, and that flake salt is just basiaclly easier to disolve as more surface area to water than crystalled, so it dilutes better. I suspect you could get somewhat similar effect with a fine vs course grind of salt for use in making cheese. But for making brines I understand it doesn't matter. Hope helps.

Tea

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 09:36:30 PM »
Interesting link CH, thanks.  I know that when I make a salt bar of soap, that the iodised salt is what we use.  I wonder why it is not recommended in cheese making?  Does the iodine affect the curd or the maturing process?

I usually use either a preserving salt, or kosher salt, which I have seem recommended to use in a number of recipes.

Tea

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 08:31:03 PM »
It's ok I found the answer.