Author Topic: Help I pasteurized the goat milk but forgot to cool before adding cultures etc  (Read 3227 times)

peri7132

:'( I was making crottins and I pasteurized my goats milk and forgot to cool, I added all the molds, rennet etc and then realized this. I know tempurature affects cheese greatly. I immediately started cooling and the curds set at about 80 degrees. Is this ruined? I was making the crottins for a cheese competition, I won't be able to have another gallon from my goats til wed. which doesn't even give it 2 weeks to age. should I just try and see what I get?any help would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 07:52:27 PM by peri7132 »

linuxboy

At what temp did you add everything?

peri7132

140 degree

linuxboy

If you cooled down quickly enough, the heat shock was not high enough to kill all culture, but it's tough to know what survived and how much of it. I would wait and see, that's about all you can do. You can also re-inoculate the rind with the ripening mix if you want. Beyond, that, no, not much you can do now.

peri7132

thanks I was afraid of that but will wait and see what I get.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Might as welll wait and see it can't hurt! It may not be croutins but it might be a good tasting cheese anyway. Any cheese that's eddible is a win in my book!

peri7132

well I ladled into the molds smelled pretty much like chevre, lemony yogurt smell buy I never noticed the smell especially when I made my other 2 batches o they could have smelled lemony too. I will probably notice when I salt them in 2 days. thanks fo the input I will keep this updated of what happens to these crottins

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
Good luck!

peri7132

I salted and turned these guys this morning, they showed no signs of the gc mold that usually shows up first (the tan looking spots that I was so worried about on my first crottins my second batch of crottins had a lot more of that gc mold on them this batch is my third attempt at making crottins the first were delicious) but they all had a little white mold growth here and there. be interesting to see how they develope, only hope I get a some kind of cheese I can eat.

peri7132

they still feel a little slippery but they have more white mold growth and now they are in the fridge well see. It seems as the mold grows over the sides they lose that slippery feeling. Hoping for the best with these. will take pictures and post later.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
Sometimes  it takes a little longer.

peri7132

Thanks I'm hanging in truthfully I want to see what these turn out to look like and if they are edible and how they taste  I thought I would post pictures of day 5 of these very little if any white mold growth still feel wet but so did the 2nd batch but as soon as the white mold started growing they didn't feel wet, also my second batch which is at day 7 this picture is in a seperate reply big difference

peri7132

This picture is day 7 when I remembered to cool my pasteurized milk

peri7132

they are finally growing some white mold tiny little spots of it can't wait to check tomorrow

peri7132

It is now day 8 for these crottins,more liitle bumps of white mold as you can see here in the picture, also there are 3 that don't have much mold and feel wet but they are covered with geo can they feel like they might be the ones that could develope slip skin, in a single container can you get some that develope slip skin and some that don't? I was wondering why the top/bottom of my crottins develope the mold slowler and thinner?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 12:21:54 PM by peri7132 »