Author Topic: Sainte Maure Cheese Making Recipe  (Read 17001 times)

Likesspace

Re: Sainte Maure Cheese Making Recipe
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2009, 03:19:31 AM »
One other thing.....
The flavor is really nice on this wheel.
It does have a bit of a salty flavor (a little too much for my taste) and there is just a hint of ammonia flavor on the very outer edges of the rind.
On my next batch I will salt less and make sure the wheels go into the household fridge immediately upon wrapping. On this batch it was about 10 days before I received the advice to age these very slowly and in a very cold fridge and this might be the reason that I'm getting the ammonia taste at the edges.

Dave

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2009, 04:21:36 AM »
Dave get your own post! ;D Really though, those cheeses look great Dave.

Tea

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2009, 08:32:08 PM »
Erin that cheese looks very encouraging.  Will be interesting to see how these age over a longer period.

Dave, they look wonderful.  The ammonia smell and taste is a bit of a bummer at times, as it seems to be the taste that lingers when eaten.  I often think of the pics you see where there is a fridge full of these cheeses ripening, and thick that the smell must be almost over powering if they smell anything like mine at certain stages of ripening.

Anyway, this has certainly given us all something to work towards.

Congrats everyone.

Likesspace

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2009, 03:04:12 AM »
Tea,
Thanks for the kind words, but yours is still the best examples that I've seen. The texture of yours looks absolutely perfect to me. I'm envious to say the least.

Dave

Nabil

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2009, 01:29:20 PM »
i had the same , lactic acid cheese will hold huge amount of moisture in it, and any way to trap it in a foil or any thing u will end up with amonia and slip skin.... try to withdraw water after unmolding by putting towel under the mat.. and wait extra days before wrapping