Author Topic: Greetings and very quick question.  (Read 1244 times)

INGrandad

Greetings and very quick question.
« on: October 04, 2010, 10:21:26 PM »
New to this past time, but having great fun at it. My question is: Yesterday I made my first cheddar and all seems quite well with it. Some recipes/techniques call for drying, some sound as though the cheese is waxed as soon as it comes out of the mold.

I read a few other threads here, but am still confused, but I'm guessing it's up to the maker?

Thanks, and looking forward to reading and contributing.

linuxboy

Re: Greetings and very quick question.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 10:30:31 PM »
I read a few other threads here, but am still confused, but I'm guessing it's up to the maker?

It is up to each person I suppose, but to wax properly, you want the whey to completely stop draining and for the surface to be dry.  Typically, this requires moving to a ~60% RH room that is 60F or so for 1-3 days.

Few people wax cheddar any more, and usually cheddar does not weep whey like other cheeses do, so for a cheddar style done commercially where the press is 40-60 PSI, there are usually no whey seepage issues. At home, it's a different situation, that's why drying is suggested.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 09:35:04 AM »
I wax cheddar, but only after it's aged (minimum 3 years).  Probably not a help, but just FYI.

ConnieG

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 01:51:11 PM »
I am interested that this recipe only calls for one gal of milk.  Is it traditionally a very thin, flat cheese then or does it require a very small mould?

INGrandad

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 11:07:59 PM »
I am interested that this recipe only calls for one gal of milk.

What recipe? The one I made used 2 gallons.

So, okay, after reading yesterday so much about bandaging I came home from work and made ghee per Alton Brown's recipe. All I had in the house was shortening, and the ghee sounded good. I bandaged the thing and it's now residing at 59 degrees in an old fridge.

ConnieG

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 04:02:43 AM »
 :-[  Yes, I was wondering where this would pop up.  I meant it for another topic and my post didn't show up there.   I'd delete it but there is conversation attached...... :-[ sorry

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 05:15:09 AM »
That has happened to me before too and I can't for the life of me figure out why. I know I posted and poof it's gone. A few days later it shows up somewhere else and makes no sense!