Author Topic: Still getting my ducks in a row!  (Read 2436 times)

beeman

Still getting my ducks in a row!
« on: December 28, 2008, 11:24:31 PM »
I am slowly working towards getting started, but the questions are like bad news, keeps coming!
There are only two in the house so don't consume large amounts of cheese. :'(
So, a question. Assuming I can manage to make a good cheese, age it correctly and keep it long enough. Can I vacuum pack perhaps half, then store the remainder in the cheese cave? I could use the fridge, but like all North Americans there isn't much available space.
I posted a question regarding contamination of other cheeses by Blue in a cave. Is this a permanent condition? Or does it fade as the blue is removed?
Thanks for all answers.

Cheese Head

Re: Still getting my ducks in a row!
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 11:51:03 PM »
beeman, my 2 cents:

Sounds like you want to pressed aged cheeses, even if don't eat much, aging/storing them will take some room, I've used a drawer in the fridge. Two problems with household fridges, first normally they are set too cold ~43F and second their humidity is normally too low, especially for forced air fan type fridges. Once your cheese is aged, of course you can seal in ziplock bag, not ideal for months, but good for 1-2 months. Assuming it is not a natural rind cheese, in which case you really need a humidity box in your fridge which of course will take up more room. So in summary, if your fridge is full and you have no cold spot in basement, then you are probably best getting another small fridge as a dedicated cheese cave. Pressed cheeses and fridge is a big step, you could try some fresh (unaged) cheeses first to learn the ropes.

Blue, once you remove that cheese, I suspect it's effect will reduce. but you'd really need to dis-infect the area.