Author Topic: Brian's Storage Shed Cheese Cave  (Read 4477 times)

Brian

Brian's Storage Shed Cheese Cave
« on: November 24, 2008, 03:17:47 PM »
OK
Where I live (Oregon) there isn't a lot of ground water, so everyone here including myself have 2500 gallon underground water storage tanks.
I built a shed over the top of it and insulated it.  I have built a couple of shelves on the inside and have a remote out there that shows temp and humidity.
Seems the constant water temp of 55 degrees keeps the temp regulated and also keeps the humidity up at around 80-85%.  Temp outside here is 30 but inside the "cave" is 47 degrees.
So now I have 2 Chedders, a Gouda and 2 Romanos that will make there home there.  Wish me luck!

B

wharris

Re: Brian's Storage Shed Cheese Cave
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 04:05:40 PM »
sounds Ideal,  watch out for critters trying to get a free meal.

Brian

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 04:36:25 PM »
Yea I know.
The door is TIGHT.  Damn shed is nearly airtight too.

Only critters getting in there would be a bear.  Which apparently are up here but I haven't seen any sign of one.  Setting a mouse trap just in case for the little guys.......

Tea

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 09:49:15 PM »
You can catch a little bear in a mouse trap  :o

Sorry just joking  ;)

Well I wish you luck with your cheeses.  Going into summer here, so it is going to be an uphill battle keeping cheese for a while.  Still haven't organised my fridge yet.  sigh   
Keep us updated.

Cheese Head

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 02:38:20 AM »
Brian, that is a novel idea! I've heard of Cheese Cave's and Cheese Cellar's but never a regulated Cheese Shed, sounds great, post a couple snaps for us when you get time . . .

Brian

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 12:24:46 AM »
Yikes.
We've had snow and it's kind of dry.  I had to put a bowl of water next to the cheese since the humidity has got down to 60%

Cheese Head

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 02:23:37 PM »
Sometimes a bowl of water doesn't have enough surface area to evaporate water, one trick is to hang a towel in water and over edge as huge surface area.

If that's not enough I read about in France where aging room thaey splash water against the walls, but walls were tiled ;).

wharris

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008, 04:08:54 PM »
Not to contradict you CH, but in my full-sized-upright-freezer-turned-cheese-cave,  a small pan of water raises the internal humidity to about 90%.

hmmm

Cheese Head

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2008, 04:54:25 PM »
Of course you can, never a problem, if we don't correct each other we are all going to be in trouble and making non-optimal cheese :D.

Good point, funny, when I tried an old upright fridge, a bowl of water wasn't enough for me . . . in this thread though Brian has a Cheese Shed in Oregon USA, so I'm guessing a lot larger volume and leakier than a fridge to keep humidity high in.