Author Topic: Licensing - USA  (Read 18891 times)

Brian

Re: Licensing - USA
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2009, 10:22:54 PM »
Cool.
I spoke with the people at the market last summer when I moved up here and they were all excited about the prospect of me selling cheese there.  And possibly mead.  I had mentioned my concerns about having to get the appropriate permits etc.. and they said not to worry about it.  They said, "Your in the poorest county in OR, nobody cares about that stuff here".

I guess we'll see.
I thought about the pencil idea too ;D

Brian

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2009, 10:32:35 PM »
Go for it. Mead...alcohol, risky, I'd still do it though  ;D

wharris

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2009, 11:29:32 PM »
As the originator of this this thread, I think its relevant to refocus the thread back to the original intent if i may.

This thread was all about obtaining the proper licensing need to legally sell cheese.
Not devising ways around the law.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 11:43:12 PM by Wayne Harris »

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2009, 12:11:41 AM »
Sorry, it got so far down the thread I DID forget what this thread was about. Maybe John can split it?

Cheese Head

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2009, 12:40:58 AM »
Gents, I could do, but see so no logical point on where to split so from now on in this thread just Licensing please, unless someone can suggest a split point.

Forum Posting Etiquette & Best Practices reminder (I've been guilty of this also).

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2009, 06:09:19 PM »
No prob. I was just mentioning it to make Wayne feel better.

Megan

« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2009, 06:54:47 PM »
I'm not sure about your area, but our regs are online. 
We had the inspector over to see our barn for mods.  The shed you built is close to what we have now, I need to flip some doors around, add drainage, a flushing toilet, more sinks, cement board walls, cages on the lights, and find an a/c unit for the aging room and we're set structure wise.  Not bad.  I think I might modify the attic of the barn to be livable since we have to add a toliet, to let interns or cheesemakers stay. :)  I wanted to do an outhouse, but Inspector says no, must flush. :P But we have to check with the county if we can do a storage septic w/o drainfield, DH says a drainfield is easy to do, so either way, it's good.  I'm just doing it bootstrap style so like to be cost effective. ;)

Then equipment wise, there's a guy who makes small all in one units our inspector approves, just need one dual ss sink for the processing room, feta/make table, brine tank,  press, and ss shelving for the cheese.
Megan

Stuart

« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2009, 12:31:02 AM »
I'm new to cheesemaking still but I'm always a dreamer. I had thought maybe about selling my cheese someday, but more immediately interested in giving it to friends to share it, friends and family of course.

There is a new market close to my house that has local, organic, farm fresh stuff. Breads and cheeses and nice foods. I went there to buy raw milk and I told the employees that I was making cheese and they were really excited. The one guy told me to bring some in for them to buy. I said "legally, do I need a permit, or inspections or what?" and he didn't say anything and I asked "or should we not talk about that?" and he said "yeah let's not talk about that. Bring in some cheese."  And I will.

So this thread is of interest to me. I'm looking into the laws and regulations for my state anyway.  I want to share my cheese with other people, and getting it into a cool market would fulfill that. Also it's not a hobby without expense, so if I could subsidize my new craft with income from selling cheese, that'd be great. I'd like to be able to use nice milk, get a wine cooler for a cheese cave, have nice equipment, and all that.

So to revive this thread, I just wanted to talk about my experience today. I'm going to start a batch tonight and take them a sample this weekend.  I'm also going to read up on local rules and regulations.

edit: wanted to add this link http://foodsafety.psu.edu/processor/resources.htm Resources for people thinking of becoming food entrepreneurs.

Stuart

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2009, 12:06:51 AM »
The owner of that market loved my honey chive raw neufchâtel but won't sell it since I don't have a legit operation. Oh well. It would have been great for my hobby to pay for itself. I understand her situation entirely. I mostly print tshirts for a living and I turn a lot of jobs down that would be copyright infringement, when shirts would be illegal to print and sell.

wharris

« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2009, 12:50:56 PM »
Someday I will.

Stuart

« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2009, 01:08:41 PM »
Someday I will.

Wayne, from what I've seen on the boards, I think you're the most likely one here to become a professional cheesemonger.

wharris

« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2009, 01:10:23 PM »
I appreciate that,  but there are those here among us that are infinately more qualified.

Which, of course is why I love this board.

MiaBella Farm

« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2009, 01:36:42 PM »
Right now in the state of Texas the county you live in controls cheese laws, but soon it will be moved under the state jurisdiction.

So, I am licensed by the state of Texas as a Grade A Raw for Retail Farm.  This means I can sell anything made from Raw Milk on my farm.  You come to my farm and purchase it...perfectly legal.  Now, for hard cheese, (made from raw milk) it has to be aged at least 60 days to be sold at a Farmers Market and you have to have a Manufactured Food License and that you get from the county.  I can't wait until the state takes over the cheese!  Our state inspector is a great guy, but I 'hear' that our county inspector is not so great...have not met him yet, and am not looking forward to it.

I am not a fan of pasteurizing milk so I am trying to stay raw with everything!

So Wayne, you should check with both your state and county Health Departments to find out the who/what/where about obtaining a license to sell cheese.

susanne

« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2009, 02:06:08 PM »
michelle if the state takes over, i assume it will be for all states? and how will that be better?
wayne i'm sure there are some artisan cheese makers in ohio. i think they are your best bet to get information.
i would love to sell cheese too. it is the first step that is the hardest ;)

cmharris6002

« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2009, 02:35:18 PM »
Wayne, I suggest filling out this form and contacting the Ohio Dairy Board to find out what stipulations are required. They will have all the answers to your questions. 

Ohio Department of Agriculture
Dairy Division
8995 E. Main St
Reynoldsburg,OH 43068
Phone: (614) 466-5550
Email: dairy@agri.ohio.gov

« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 02:46:34 PM by Christy »