Author Topic: OK Gouda time  (Read 1996 times)

Brian

OK Gouda time
« on: March 25, 2009, 01:08:51 AM »
I've got 3 months before Farmers Market opens up and i have 8, 3 lbs wheel so of stirred curd cheddars and 2 Goudas.
tomorrow I'm making a Gouda with the recipe I found on this site before that my wife likes.  ( can't remember where it was).
My question is, I saw that videotape on youtube of the young men making Gouda in their kitchen. (it's on this forum) and was wondering if anybody else replaces whey with water without cooking like they do?

My recipe has it "cooking" for a time and replacing whey every half hour or so.  Maybe I should watch it again to see if maybe I missed something.  Something is different as to what I do.

I also noticed that with Goudas, there are more curds left over than doing cheddars, so I'm using 2 gallons of milk instead of three.

Brian

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
Re: OK Gouda time
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 12:45:47 AM »
Wayne will be able to give you some advice he makes gouda.

wharris

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 12:58:51 AM »
Gouda is a washed curd cheese.  Salt is added to gouda only during the brining.  Other than that, cheddar and Gouda are both whole milk meso cheeses that both yeild about the same amount of curd.

2.5 gallons of whole milk will yield enough curd for about a 2lb gouda mould.

Brian

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 03:44:24 PM »
Hi Wayne.
Yea, I've made Gouda before and every time, I end up with more curds than a stirred curd cheddar.

I'm thinking that I get less curds when making the cheddar due to the constant stirring which releases more whey.
Anyway, I can use 3 gallons of milk for a Cheddar and only 2 1/4 gallons for a Gouda in the mold that I have.
I salted the leftover curds and have them in a bowl.  Will probably use them for some pasta thing I make tonight.

Brian

wharris

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 04:01:50 PM »
sounds like you have it handled!  Curds in some pasta sounds tasty!  great idea!