Author Topic: Havarti Cheese question  (Read 8488 times)

wharris

Re: Havarti Cheese question
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2008, 07:16:47 PM »
May this batch RIP.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 04:10:04 AM by Wayne Harris »

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2008, 08:46:43 PM »
Wayne did you mean, "May this batch RIP?" If so why? It looks great or did you mean because you were going to consume it all before you finished typing your post...LOL

wharris

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2008, 03:43:45 AM »
I did mean "may".

While this Cheese did look good, the mold on the other side, the spoiled smell, and the grimice on my wife's face made me toss it.

It pained me to do throw it away.

10 hours of my life in the garbage.

Cheese Head

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2008, 05:28:44 PM »
OK, can't smell it but it certainly looks great! FYI I've eaten far worse looking cheese creations by me :D.

As it stuck to the board, it sounds too moist to me.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2008, 06:38:21 PM »
Wayne, I'm probably telling you something you already know, but info never hurts.

Some cheese, Limburger, just doesn't ever smell good but tastes fine. And then there are cheeses when they are young give off smells until they ripen fully. Think about camembert while it's ripening it gives off that amonia smell.

Usually what I do is just clean it off, disinfect the outside, then put it back in the cellar.

Tea

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2008, 08:27:26 PM »
I wonder if this was the "less than pleasant" smell that the B linens is reported to give off.
So does anyone know how you get past the smell to eat it, as smell is so much apart of the flavour.  I have read that the smell does not reflect in the flavour of the cheese, so is the rind sliced off before consuming?
Did you actually get to throw it, or where you talking about throwing it?  Would be a shame if there wasn't really anything wrong with it.

wharris

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2008, 09:08:48 PM »
It is gone.

and it bothers me more than i thought.

Mainly because i have doubts about it.

I wish i could send the smell/taste to you all in the forum.

Tea

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2008, 09:11:06 PM »
Yes I agree.  Someone needs to invent "scratch and smell" monitors.

the_stain

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2009, 09:03:34 PM »
Have you ever taken a big whiff of swiss cheese? (I assume most people here have since we're all apparently lovers of cheese!)  To me, it smells a lot like dirty feet... or old gym socks.  But you don't really notice that when you eat it (at least I don't.)