Author Topic: Raw Milk - Advertising For  (Read 3134 times)

wharris

Raw Milk - Advertising For
« on: November 25, 2008, 11:50:09 PM »
I posted an ad on my local craigslist for a farmer that might supply me with raw and/or non-homogenized milk. 

With the responses I got, you'd thought i was looking to score some heroin.

I had no idea that the sale or distribution of raw milk was against the law. 
I know now.
jeez.

Tea

Re: Raw Milk - Advertising For
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 06:37:30 AM »
Sorry you found out the hard way.  Still baffles the logic that raw milk is viewed with such over caution as a health hazzard, but some commercial products that are actually allowed to be sold as food.

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 12:57:53 PM »
I think this is the law only in the USA, if you search this Forum on Raw Milk you'll find some other threads on this topic.

www.rawmilk.com is a US website that has some info as does US based www.rawmilkcheese.org Association.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 03:01:29 PM by Cheese Head »

wharris

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 02:36:52 PM »
Actually, this is a State law.  Not a US law.  It is illegal in the state of Ohio to sell or distribute raw milk.  However,  I can get raw milk from the state of New York.

There is, however, increasing pressure to change this law.  We shall see. 

Cheese Head

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 03:02:36 PM »
Thanks for correction, I see several poeple saying it is, so I incorrectly assumed it was a national law.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 01:34:37 AM »
Gee sorry to hear that Wayne. Is it okay to buy it elsewhere and bring it home?

wharris

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 01:46:03 AM »
New York will sell it to me.  Seem like most of the Ohio laws are on the distributor side. So I would imagine that I can get it if I wanted.  There is also a thriving blackmarket here.  I get calls ever so often from those that want to meet me.   No thanks.

Besides, my cheesemaking skills and flaws that I am currently trying to improve, would not be helped with raw milk. I need to concentrate on imporving my processes, and recipe. My basic skills need work.  So, I will continue to use the cheap milk, until I get everything else perfected. And when I get to a point when only the expensive raw milk will improve my cheese,  then I will splurge for the the more expensive stuff.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 01:56:40 AM »
Yeah I hear ya! I just had to try it. I sure can't afford to do this on a regular basis. Back to WalMart for me if I can't find a cheap source. I was quite amazed at the sweetness and creaminess of my yogurt today though. I wonder if adding cream would do that - I never tried it.