Author Topic: Dubliner (by Kerrygold) Cheese Making Recipe  (Read 11919 times)

Brian

Dubliner (by Kerrygold) Cheese Making Recipe
« on: November 26, 2008, 02:39:54 PM »
Anybody have a "Dubliner" recipe?  It would have to be a cross between chedder and parmessan..........  The Dubliner site say's it tastes like a Chedder/Swiss/Parmessan with the "crystals" in it.
One of my favorite cheeses.

B

Tea

Re: Dubliner (by Kerrygold) Cheese Making Recipe
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 05:50:53 AM »
Hi Brian, sorry I can't help with a recipe, but to get the cheese crystals it apparently takes a very long time of maturing to achieve.  Is this what you are understanding also?

Brian

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 06:57:23 AM »
Yep.
It's the crystals   Was wondering about the recipe though.  They say it's aged a year.  Does that make the crystals?

B

Tea

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 08:34:28 PM »
Well I don't know if it would in this recipe, but I was under the impression that they formed over a number of years 3-5 at least.
Maybe one of our cheese guru's could help out here.
Type in "cheese crystals" in the search, and see what you get, as I know we have had this topic before.

Milleens

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 09:06:01 AM »
I'm pretty sure that the crunchy crystals you are refering too are created by the thermophylic bacteria used in the starter culture.

Cheese Head

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 03:23:37 PM »
Brian, I was curious so googled around:

So I'm at a dead end, have to go to Ireland and buy someone a few rounds or try and get a tour of the factory . . . good luck!

Brian

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 06:12:43 PM »
Yea, I had read that they were calcium crystals too.  Something that is "undesirable", from what I read.
I think maybe they have a good marketing program in selling something to us Americans that they don't consider good.
What the hell, I love it.

B

Cheese Head

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 09:41:28 PM »
I thought the crystal zingers wera actually highly desirable, as I read that some people hide cheddar at the back of their fridge for a few years just to encourage them! If you search you find that Merlin, a cheese buyer for NYC restaurants had a nice encounter with them ;D.

Homestead

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 10:10:09 PM »
Hey, I am in love with the Kerrygold "Dubliner" Cheese.  I know it's not 50$ dollar cheese but I love the flavor and texture of it.  My question is...what is it?  I would love to recreate it somehow.  Please let me know what type it is.....thanks

linuxboy

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 10:38:17 PM »
Like many modern cheeses created in the last 20 years, Dubliner has its origins in classic cultures modified with thermophiles to creates a rounded flavor and proteolysis. The tradition is a hybrid of gouda and cheddar, along with thermophiles for proteolysis and flavor. You can't recreate it without the starter culture they use. It's very much an engineered cheese that takes advantage of milk and culture terroir.

darius

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 10:47:23 PM »
Funny you should ask about that... I happen to be eating a couple of slices of it right now. I buy it often for snacking. :)

Homestead

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 11:20:59 PM »
Would you know where to find a comparable recipe?

linuxboy

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 11:31:40 PM »
In this case, the cultures make the difference, as does the milk. Me giving you a recipe would not help you replicate the cheese.

Tomer1

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 01:05:57 AM »
Funny, Its like trying to clone a famouse beer,
Im sure that replicating the make will still creat a great cheese.

"The tradition is a hybrid of gouda and cheddar"
So its a washed curd then cheddered and milled and pressed the heck out of?

linuxboy

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 04:01:02 AM »
Curd is not washed in Dubliner. Maybe a more accurate way to describe it is adjuncted cheddar, so a cross between a cheddar and a parmesan. We have a good dozen products here in the US all made in this style, and the culture is what makes the flavor difference. Cabot's cheddar, for example, is made this way.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 02:11:32 PM by linuxboy »