Author Topic: Annatto  (Read 10023 times)

Cheese Head

Re: Annatto
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2009, 03:39:03 AM »
My Annatto finally came in from CheeseMaking.com:

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2009, 06:26:43 AM »
Lucky, they sent you a pen too.

wharris

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2009, 06:43:57 AM »
I keep a stack of latex Gloves and aprons around when hanldling Annatto.  Somehow, i seem to get that everywhere.  Oh, and I keep the bottle in its own zip lock bag.

chilipepper

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2009, 04:18:59 PM »
Wayne, I certainly second your apron and glove idea.  First time I used Annatto I ended up looking like an Umpa Lumpa!

martyd215

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2009, 04:33:25 PM »
Cartierusm thanks for that little bit of info.  The last cheddar I made is drying right now and I've noticed it seems to be getting a bit of a color as it's aging.

wharris

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2009, 04:36:58 PM »
I think Carter plagiarized some really cool guy.
;)

Well, my understanding is that the color attaches itself to the fat in the curd.  It will be very diluted during ripening.  You should, however,  see a concentration of the color after you separate the whey and work with the curd only. (milling, pressing)

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2009, 05:57:16 PM »
I probably did, but I won't admit anything. But it's common knowledge every second grader knows about annatto clinging to fat, its what they teach in school.

wharris

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2009, 06:02:50 PM »
LOL!

Caise-bodach

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2009, 06:52:34 AM »
Hi, I know this is a late post to this thread, but I'm gonna do it anyway...the addition of color by annatto is influenced by a lot of things.  Yes, it does get darker when you separate the curd from the whey, and yes it does deepen with age of the cheese since (all other things being equal) as the cheese ages, it dries slightly, which means it contracts and therefore you have the same amount of color in a smaller package.  This last is because usually the cheese gets more acidic as all the remaining lactose is eaten by the bacteria, and annatto responds by getting darker (kind of like the phenopthalien dye in acid test-kits changes color depending on how basic/acidic the solution is) 
Hope that all made sense!

milkprotein_fat

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2009, 04:04:26 PM »
Would you use water soluble annatto or oil soluble annatto for making cheeses? I notice there are 2 different ones out there..?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2009, 04:30:53 PM »
Water soluble annatto is for coloring and adds no flavor. It's is used to colot cheese butter and other foods.

Annatto oil is used for cooking and does add flavor. It's used in a lot a Chinese sausages and I believe South American dishes.

ffd

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2009, 04:55:47 PM »
Has anyone seen the French Mimolette with the Annatto colouring.  I think they went a bit mad as it almost glows.

wharris

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2009, 05:03:34 PM »
I have, and have always thought the same thing.