Author Topic: Hello from Tim Bedfordshire, United Kingdom  (Read 2565 times)

Tim_Luton

Hello from Tim Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
« on: November 30, 2008, 11:04:09 AM »
Hi Fellow Cheesemakers,

I am currently starting on the journey of cheesemaking, i have assembled my bits and pieces, and am planning to start of in the next few days.

I am based in the bedfordshire in the UK, and love the idea of making and ageing our own cheeses.

We have in the past made homebrew wine and beer, and yoghurt's which were very successful, and we are now embarking on a cheese.

I Look forward to joining in and sharing any info i find on my learning curve.

Best Regards

Tim_Luton

Cheese Head

Re: Hello from Tim Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 11:22:05 AM »
Howdy Tim_Luton from Houston Texas, sorry again for the delay in getting you approved as I was on US Thanksgiving Holiday and I had recently switched off the auto-enrol feature as we had problems again with some Trolls making junk posts.

Looking forward to your input, your homebrew wine beer & yogurt experiences should come in very useful, some days I feel like I am still way down on the cheese making learning curve as it is a big/long one :D.

Tea

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 08:13:28 PM »
Good morning Tim and welcome to the forum.  I think you make the third homebrewer on here now.
Have you decided what cheese you are going to make first yet.  I know it is hard to choose sometime and it usually comes down to what the kids want to eat first.
Keep us updated on your progress.

Tim_Luton

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 10:00:40 PM »
 Hello Everybody,

Thanks for the warm welcome to the forum, as regards to the first cheese we will have to see, but i love all cheese, i aim to perhaps go in at the deep end and try a medium / hard cheese. any ideas for a simple one that i can perhaps age.

Tim

Cheese Head

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 10:15:00 PM »
My 2 cents, start with simple soft cheeses as more fool proof and need less equipment and work up to Feta and then to pressed hard cheeses which have more equipment and the problems of aging at right temp and humidity. But if you have the equipment and are keen, then depends what you have for cultures and equipment. Gouda is popular . . . let us know in the Cheese Making - Records Board how it works out.

Tea

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 11:12:15 PM »
Of course Cheese Head advises for you to "work up to a fetta" because he is yet to master a fetta  ;D  :P
Actually fetta was one of the first cheeses that I tried, simply because I didn't know any better, and it has been a success every time.  I do agree though to start with something fairly simple and learn to understand curd setting, temps, whey reduction etc, before trying a hard pressed cheese, as a good running knowledge of these issues is needed for a pressed cheese.  Fetta, halloumi, maltese cheese are some easy cheese to start with.
Best of luck.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 11:18:18 PM by Tea »

Cheese Head

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 11:31:44 PM »
Tea has an excellent memory, tis true on feta, I have yet master, but I do like to learn from others problems!