Author Topic: How to store crottin  (Read 966 times)

Offline Mondequay

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 8
  • Default personal text
How to store crottin
« on: October 09, 2010, 10:51:01 AM »
I made crottin 2 weeks ago using Yoav's recipe:
http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,4572.msg35649.html#msg35649

Tried our first one today at 14 days. I am amazed! This is so much better than I dared hope! Can't wait until the 3 week mark.

I am unclear about long-term storage, though. I want some for the holidays and wonder if I just need to time the make correctly or can I store some at 40F and be confident that they will not age more? I have Formaticum  cheese paper for wrapping. And how long is too long? What happens if I let them keep going in their incubator of 55F, 90% humidity? I guess they turn a lovely blue-black color but what happens to the taste?

All that being said, I am hooked on this cheese; what a wonderful adventure! I loved caring for them everyday and look forward to sharing them with my family and friends.
Christine

Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.

Offline Susan

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
  • Default personal text
Re: How to store crottin
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 12:34:18 PM »
Wow!  That's a beautiful cheese!  I don't think I've ever tried that kind of cheese but now I think I must!  It looks yummy.
Susan

Offline peri7132

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 07:56:39 AM »
I agree it is lovely cheese looking really good and so evenly covered with mold, I am also am hooked on these little guys, maybe someone with a lot more experience can tell you a way to keep them I would be interested to know also. What I have found is that no matter what they keep aging whether by temp at 40 of 38 degrees or paper wrapped they continue to age.
Lavender Hollow Farm
Reg. Nubians and amatuer maker of soft and mold ripened cheese

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 95
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 12:30:59 AM »
Very nice Mondequay! A cheese for you! Once they have aged you can wrap them and put them in the refrigerator.

Offline Mondequay

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 06:30:15 AM »
Thank you, Debi, I really am proud of this cheese. I think I read that you wrap some cheeses in freezer paper. The expensive papers that I have are a wasteful rectangular shape so I will try freezer paper next. I just wrapped one to bring to work in wax paper and the paper is so thin that the wrapping is very smooth and appealing. I wonder if that would work for a few weeks in the fridge?

Peri, I wonder if storing them in the coldest part of the fridge (for me, the back of the top shelf) would make a difference. Although, sometimes my food there gets ice crystals so maybe not too far back...

Christine

Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.

Offline mtncheesemaker(Pam)

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 29
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 09:25:00 AM »
I use parchment paper to wrap them. If you have a deli drawer in your fridge that works well, too. They continue to age but slowly.

Offline Mondequay

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 01:26:13 PM »
Thanks, Pam, I'll try parchment, too.

I just cut a 3-week old 4" crottin and it seems to be only at the 2-week ripeness of the smaller ones made in chevre molds. I guess making them larger gives a longer ripening time. My co-workers gobbled it up!  :)

Offline Brie

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 29
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 08:02:08 PM »
That is a beautiful Crottin, Monde--it looks absolutely perfect. Crottin is meant to be eaten early--3-4 weeks for raw milk. I have aged it for up to two months and it takes on an entirely different dimension--firmer inside and more nuttier in taste. Each to their own, but interesting to taste the difference and decide for oneself. I have done both--wrap or not wrap; but in either case I still keep the humidity very high--at least 80%.
Darn, another cheese meltdown--ahh, perfect fondue.