Author Topic: How to store crottin  (Read 2278 times)

Mondequay

How to store crottin
« on: October 09, 2010, 03:51:01 PM »
I made crottin 2 weeks ago using Yoav's recipe:
http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,4572.msg35649.html#msg35649

Tried our first one today at 14 days. I am amazed! This is so much better than I dared hope! Can't wait until the 3 week mark.

I am unclear about long-term storage, though. I want some for the holidays and wonder if I just need to time the make correctly or can I store some at 40F and be confident that they will not age more? I have Formaticum  cheese paper for wrapping. And how long is too long? What happens if I let them keep going in their incubator of 55F, 90% humidity? I guess they turn a lovely blue-black color but what happens to the taste?

All that being said, I am hooked on this cheese; what a wonderful adventure! I loved caring for them everyday and look forward to sharing them with my family and friends.
Christine

susanky

Re: How to store crottin
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 05:34:18 PM »
Wow!  That's a beautiful cheese!  I don't think I've ever tried that kind of cheese but now I think I must!  It looks yummy.
Susan

peri7132

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 12:56:39 PM »
I agree it is lovely cheese looking really good and so evenly covered with mold, I am also am hooked on these little guys, maybe someone with a lot more experience can tell you a way to keep them I would be interested to know also. What I have found is that no matter what they keep aging whether by temp at 40 of 38 degrees or paper wrapped they continue to age.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 05:30:59 AM »
Very nice Mondequay! A cheese for you! Once they have aged you can wrap them and put them in the refrigerator.

Mondequay

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 11:30:15 AM »
Thank you, Debi, I really am proud of this cheese. I think I read that you wrap some cheeses in freezer paper. The expensive papers that I have are a wasteful rectangular shape so I will try freezer paper next. I just wrapped one to bring to work in wax paper and the paper is so thin that the wrapping is very smooth and appealing. I wonder if that would work for a few weeks in the fridge?

Peri, I wonder if storing them in the coldest part of the fridge (for me, the back of the top shelf) would make a difference. Although, sometimes my food there gets ice crystals so maybe not too far back...

Christine

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 02:25:00 PM »
I use parchment paper to wrap them. If you have a deli drawer in your fridge that works well, too. They continue to age but slowly.

Mondequay

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 06:26:13 PM »
Thanks, Pam, I'll try parchment, too.

I just cut a 3-week old 4" crottin and it seems to be only at the 2-week ripeness of the smaller ones made in chevre molds. I guess making them larger gives a longer ripening time. My co-workers gobbled it up!  :)

Brie

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 01:02:08 AM »
That is a beautiful Crottin, Monde--it looks absolutely perfect. Crottin is meant to be eaten early--3-4 weeks for raw milk. I have aged it for up to two months and it takes on an entirely different dimension--firmer inside and more nuttier in taste. Each to their own, but interesting to taste the difference and decide for oneself. I have done both--wrap or not wrap; but in either case I still keep the humidity very high--at least 80%.