Author Topic: My best gouda yet  (Read 4770 times)

tally

My best gouda yet
« on: October 09, 2010, 08:38:41 PM »
Just cracked open a gouda made from Likespaces recipe of 12/18/2009. My only personal touch was that I added 1/8 tsp of flori danika along with the MM100. It aged just over three months and oh my gosh it is FAB-U-LUS. Thank you, Likespace! And thanks to all of you for your great advise and encouragement. It's days like this that make cheesmaking worth while.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: My best gouda yet
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 04:21:00 AM »
Glad to hear it Tally! Always feel goos when the cheese is worth the wait.....

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 01:43:50 PM »
Congrats Tally!

I have one following Dave's recipe too. It's at 2 months right now...looking at the first week in November to try it. I stayed on the recipe and didn't experiment for this first time through with his directions. It's one of my first with dry calf rennet and I think everything went fairly well from looking at my notes. Anticipation...sing it, Carly!

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Likesspace

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 07:04:45 PM »
Hi again guys!

Well yeah, it's been quite awhile since I posted but I've had a very busy summer that did not leave time for cheese making or posting on the board.
Now although the above is true, summer is over and now I'm finding myself with a little more time.
I thought it was sort of funny that one of the first posts I read was one about Tally's Gouda (congrats on finding success), since I also made a Gouda earlier today that is now sitting in the press.
I was a little nervous about beginning since it has been so long since my last make but I was also suprised at how quickly it all came back once I started.
All in all I was really happy about how the make turned out and am looking forward to a fall and winter season of serious cheesemaking and discussing.
Hope this finds everyone well and good.

Dave

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 07:28:04 PM »
Welcome back, Dave. We missed you.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 04:59:50 AM »
Hiya Dave Welcome back!

Likesspace

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 11:53:32 AM »
Thanks guys...

Looking forward to getting  back into the swing of things. I didn't realize how much I have been missing it.

Brie

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 04:02:15 AM »
Likespace--I have read your posts over and over; which has helped in my deveopment of cheese-making. Welcome back--we missed you!

MrsKK

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010, 11:17:40 AM »
I've never made Gouda but will have to look into it once I've got milk again.  Congrats on making a wonderful cheese!  It is nice to have others pioneer for us.

Likesspace

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 12:59:16 AM »
Brie,
Thank you for the warm welcome back.
I've really missed posting and most of all making cheese.
I'm also happy to hear that my posts have helped someone else.
Everything that I've learned has come from the experience of others and I'm sure this is something that will continue throughout the rest of my life.
When I first stared making cheese I thought that companies like Kraft must have some sort of secret ingredient or method that allowed them to produce cheese that was not hard, dry and crumbly. Little did I know that their type of texture could be produced at home, although with a MUCH better flavor.
Since I learned the importance of using a Ph meter and controlling every aspect of a make my cheese making enjoyment has increased 1000%.
Now I just have to remember everything that I've learned. :-)
Again, thanks for the welcome back and good luck with your own cheese making.

Dave

wharris

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 09:19:10 PM »
Good to hear from you again Dave.

bmckee561

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2010, 02:40:08 PM »
I am very new to cheese making and would like to make my first pressed cheese a Gouda.  From the comments above, it appears Daves recipe is a good one to start with and I would like to know where I might find it.

I am also new to using this forum, so navigating through all the different areas is a bit confusing can someone either post a link to the recipe or re-post it here?  I appreciate any efforts in helping me out.

Salute!   :D

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2010, 05:10:08 PM »
I am very new to cheese making and would like to make my first pressed cheese a Gouda.  From the comments above, it appears Daves recipe is a good one to start with and I would like to know where I might find it.

I am also new to using this forum, so navigating through all the different areas is a bit confusing can someone either post a link to the recipe or re-post it here?  I appreciate any efforts in helping me out.

Salute!   :D
You can search for the original Dave posted on the forum, but here's a copy with additional comments on the short ripening period.

Good luck.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

ConnieG

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2010, 10:10:35 PM »
Look at that, Boofer keeps notes that look just like what I do!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2010, 02:14:49 PM »
Look at that, Boofer keeps notes that look just like what I do!
Not trying to be fanatical about all this, but when I see something on here that seems to make sense I grab it and stuff it into a folder. My cheese folder has folders for the cheese styles, cheese press info, cheese process, worksheet ideas, equipment...you get the idea.

Photos are big. I will probably try to capture a new cheese make in pictures so that I can refer back to it later. If someone posts a photo of their cheese and it seems to capture the character of a particular cheese style, I'll grab that to use as a reference point...something to aim for. Early on when I was thinking about Dutch cheese press design, I grabbed ideas here and there and they helped me build the press that works for me.

Recording disasters, failures, and near-misses is also important to me so I have less chance of repeating the same blunder. I have several boo-boos posted on this forum. I feel it's important to reveal what can happen, especially if you are not paying attention to your cheese during the make.

Now, where's my gold star for the day?  8)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!