Author Topic: Cow's Milk - Mixing Raw & Store Pateurized For Making Cheese  (Read 1275 times)

sleepinghound

Cow's Milk - Mixing Raw & Store Pateurized For Making Cheese
« on: October 10, 2010, 11:37:11 AM »
I want to make a cheese that calls for 2 gallons of milk. I was only able to obtain one gallon of raw milk. Can I also use one gallon of pasteurized milk with this to make a cheese?

MrsKK

Re: Cow's Milk - Mixing Raw & Store Pateurized For Making Cheese
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 12:38:34 PM »
Sure you can.  Just make sure that the other milk isn't UHT pasturized, because that stuff is pure junk for cheesemaking purposes.

Good luck!  What are you going to make?

sleepinghound

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 01:13:22 PM »
Thanks. The pasteurized milk I've been using seems to make good curds and has a good flavor. I'm able to get raw milk from a Friend occasionally. I'm going to make a Colby. I've made three Cheddars so far and one of them has aged for almost 3 months so I'm going to try it soon.

Mondequay

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 02:10:09 PM »
I've mixed raw and p&h milks before. When I used 1/2 raw and half p&h I had a 13% yield (making gouda.) When I use all raw I have an 18% yield. I save about $2/gal using p&h but I would rather have the cheese than the $$! My raw milk comes from Normande cows. However, for a few months during winter I must use all p&h or not make cheese at all; at that point, I welcome any milk!
Christine