Author Topic: Roquefort  (Read 1523 times)

ashummel

Roquefort
« on: October 10, 2010, 11:31:46 PM »
I used the basic Blue recipe in RC book. The only thing i didn't have was the P. Roqueforti. Instead i used Roquefort from a local store, and diluted it and poured over curds before pressing. contrary to what I've read, i didn't wait for mould to grow all over the cheese before i poked the holes. I followed the method of waiting three days after drying. I suppose i can re poke when the mould appears. The humidity stays between 87 and 93%. The temp maintains at 50. I'm not sure at what point to "smooth" the cheese. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

ashummel

Re: Roquefort
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 11:02:09 PM »
This really exited me to finally see the little veins of blue through out the cheese. I just did another blue two days ago, using different methods i have learned from this forum. I cant wait to sink my teeth in this one.

Mondequay

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 11:12:02 PM »
I would like to make a blue too. Could you explain in some detail how you diluted the store bought cheese? Thanks!

ashummel

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 11:46:07 PM »
I went to a local whole foods market that had a Cheese Monger and explained what i wanted. I found a pure Roquefort and bought the chunk with most bluing. i spent about five dollars. I would buy it the day your going to make your cheese. I sat down and dissected the cheese trying to get all the blue out with a sterilized knife and bowl. On this cheese i blended with bottled water, and poured into a bowl with curds and let sit for a couple mins before i put into mold. On the new cheese i put the blue mold into the milk when i added the mesophilic. And i also didn't use a blender i just whisked the cheese with 90 degree milk. there was little blue specs all in the milk. i think this method will work better.

Mondequay

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 12:35:22 AM »
Thanks, Ashummel, I'll give it a try next weekend. :D