Author Topic: For the Ladies  (Read 6370 times)

Tea

For the Ladies
« on: December 01, 2008, 09:25:14 PM »
Ok just thought I would post something that the ladies might enjoy seeing.  The men have posted favourite cars, and bbq's etc, so this one is for us.

My grandbaby has just turned one, and this is the dress that I made for her birthday.  This is what I like to do for relaxation, and I have also had the privilege of teach smocking and embroidery for the last 11 or so years.   Saddly though, this is the first thing that I have made in the last couple of years, so it was nice getting back into the swing of things.

Thankfully my DD loves it, and my Grandbaby looks like an Angel in it.  So it was worth the effort.

SalMac

Re: For the Ladies
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 02:40:52 AM »
Priceless Tea

Great work.

We did one for me in the 60's that i treasure today.

Sal

Tea

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 09:12:00 PM »
Hi Sal and thanks.  I though after completing this dress that it just might be a little too traditional for this younger generation, so I decided that I would do something a little more trendy.  It is in the palest of greens, so it is difficult to see on the white background.
My daughter has since informed me that this is her favourite, so it appears that my thoughts about "traditional" my have been right. mmm

SalMac

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 10:50:01 PM »
Lovely Tea

How do you get all this done? I know how much sheer hard work goes into these.

On another point do you know anything about Olive Oil soap?

My mums just made some that I think is great, but she would like some reference points?

Sal

Tea

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 04:05:50 AM »
Hi Sal, great to see you back.  Have been thinking of you, and wondering what you were doing.  Painting I see.  My commiserations, it is one job I will gladly get out of if I can.

Ok I do know something about olive oil (castille) soaps, having made it numerous times.  What did she want to know?

Tea

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 10:26:16 PM »
Hi Sal, just thinking of you and wondering how things are?  Also did your mum find the answer to her question in regards to the olive oil soap?

LadyLiberty

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 03:52:03 AM »
Lovely, Tea, just beautiful.  As a weaver, I really appreciate the smocking work, though it's not something I've ever tried.... As a seamstress I understand the intricacies.  That's a real beautiful piece, actually BOTH Of them are, and I can see the green just fine. 

I also do bead work, and that's very detail oriented as well.

Here's a piece I did:

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e395/hummingbird62/projects/peacockfeathernecklace2.jpg

OK this is WEIRD.  the file name is supposed to be "peacockfeathernecklace1.jpg" but the forum is changing "XXXX" to "cheese"  so the link is not working.  Is this some weird parental control?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 03:58:48 AM by LadyLiberty »

LadyLiberty

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 04:00:50 AM »
ok this is a parental control that's gotten outta whack.

you know the bird that has the brilliant feathers?  that fans them?  The female is a "peahen"? 

well the name of the file is

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e395/hummingbird62/peacockfeathernecklace2-1.jpg?t=1232855800 just substitute "cheese" with the proper word.

Man I hate parents at times!

Offline Webmaster

• Administrator
  • Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 40
    • CheeseForum.org
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 04:14:34 AM »
Hi LL, John AKA Cheese Head here, I'm the webmaster and also the culprit of your link problem.

And yes as Parental Control I identified a few choice/swear words that the forum software converts to "cheese", (my choice ;D), as I want this to be a PG rated forum :).

I just re-read your post and yes that 4 letter word is the problem and yes your trick of changing the text works, very nice bead work!

Sorry about the hassle, the "Parental Control" is because of a problem in the past.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 04:22:44 AM by Webmaster »

Tea

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 09:17:16 PM »
Having a smile to myself here. There was another forum that I was on that had the same problem, and one word in particular that was regularly used had four letters in the middle that was a swear word, and it used to trip us up all the time.  I agree that they can be a pain, but I definately support their use.

So I finally got to see your beading, and it is beautiful, simply stunning.  I love the penhen's and their male mates, and we have a number of them at the moment running around the property.  I would love a white one, but as of yet I only have the blue.

Do you sell your beading?  I find it difficult to charge for my work as people have no concept of the time and work that goes into one of these creations.

I had a local quilt shop here give me some fabric years ago, and asked me to make up something to display the fabric range that they were stocking.  It was a Debbie Mumm range, not sure if you know of her fabric.  Anyway I ended up saying that I would buy the fabric and the end result would be mine, as the amount of hours that went into the making of it was quite large.  I told them that it wasn't going to be "for sale" as I was wanting it for my youngest daughter.  She later told me that an American tourist had come in and offered $450.00 for the dress.  :o  I told her that at that price it would have been for sale.  Later Debbie Mumm was running a competition asking people to send in photo's of how they had decorated with her fabrics, so I decided that I would send in a photo and show her what I had done with her fabrics, and ended up winning, even though it wasn't decorating.  What a surprise that was. 

Carter I don't know if you read this thread, but here is one of the examples of bees that I have added to my work.  I love stump work (raised 3D embroidery) so added these to the cuffs and bow.  This dress is over ten years old, and has been washed and worn countless times, so the bee is a little worse for wear, but you will get the idea.

Tea

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 09:18:30 PM »
Next photo's

wharris

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 01:31:52 AM »
I was all ready to spout funnies here about this thread should not be just "for the ladies", and that how how I'm sure Carter would love to see these...... ;)

But then i saw the pictures...

Holy cow....truely awesome work...

LadyLiberty

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 01:58:19 AM »
Having a smile to myself here. There was another forum that I was on that had the same problem, and one word in particular that was regularly used had four letters in the middle that was a swear word, and it used to trip us up all the time.  I agree that they can be a pain, but I definately support their use.

So I finally got to see your beading, and it is beautiful, simply stunning.  I love the penhen's and their male mates, and we have a number of them at the moment running around the property.  I would love a white one, but as of yet I only have the blue.

Do you sell your beading?  I find it difficult to charge for my work as people have no concept of the time and work that goes into one of these creations.

I had a local quilt shop here give me some fabric years ago, and asked me to make up something to display the fabric range that they were stocking.  It was a Debbie Mumm range, not sure if you know of her fabric.  Anyway I ended up saying that I would buy the fabric and the end result would be mine, as the amount of hours that went into the making of it was quite large.  I told them that it wasn't going to be "for sale" as I was wanting it for my youngest daughter.  She later told me that an American tourist had come in and offered $450.00 for the dress.  :o  I told her that at that price it would have been for sale.  Later Debbie Mumm was running a competition asking people to send in photo's of how they had decorated with her fabrics, so I decided that I would send in a photo and show her what I had done with her fabrics, and ended up winning, even though it wasn't decorating.  What a surprise that was. 

Carter I don't know if you read this thread, but here is one of the examples of bees that I have added to my work.  I love stump work (raised 3D embroidery) so added these to the cuffs and bow.  This dress is over ten years old, and has been washed and worn countless times, so the bee is a little worse for wear, but you will get the idea.

love the bees!  That's something! 

I have my projects here:

http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e395/hummingbird62/projects/

Tea

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2009, 06:25:31 AM »
Wayne I was just following up on another conversation the Carter and I were having about using bee's as our "signature" on things we make.

LadyLiberty, I am yet to have a look at the hummingbird, will do that later.  Thanks for the links though.

Tea

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2009, 09:32:29 PM »
LadyLiberty, just had a look at your photo's, just beautiful.  One day I would love to learn how to spin and weave, but I have so many other things on the go, that it is going to have to wait for later.
Beautiful beautiful work.  Congratulations.