Author Topic: One more vacuum sealing question  (Read 10462 times)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: One more vacuum sealing question
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2010, 12:12:28 AM »
I guess you can only give 1 a day or something it shut me out.

KosherBaker

« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2010, 01:01:30 AM »
If you want to try the sheets I can send you some I have like 50 of them the don't seem to wear out. I also use them for draining yogurt or veggies I have shreaded. I have to remember to go get some yellow envelopes anyway. PM me you address again I lost it.
Deb this is just a thought. But since you have so many of them and since they wear out so slowly (if at all) :) maybe you should price them out and make them available to all of the board members. This way not only will they get the sheets for the lower price but will also save a bundle on the shipping since it is unlikely that you will charge $8 - $10 for shipping. Assuming, of course, you are willing to bother with potentially many requests. Again, just a thought.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2010, 03:32:28 AM »
Hmmm well maybe I could get a few sheets in a letter envelope? They are lighter than paper I think. Maybe I should look for those big wide white envelopes like the bills come in. Bet a could squeeze a few sheets in there. Good idea hon.

wharris

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2010, 03:31:32 PM »
i have never tryed these, or plyban.. 
I am not sure i entirely understand its role. 
does it replace cheesecloth or muslin?

linuxboy

« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2010, 03:37:15 PM »
It's a synthetic (nylon) cloth.

wharris

« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2010, 03:44:13 PM »
ok,  so, does one use it like cloth?

I mean, I use a cloth that is about a yard square....
Would i simply replace my muslin for this?

OR, would i form the nylon like that which is found in a Kadova liner?

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2010, 04:41:51 PM »
Somebody is really playing games. I lost 2 more cheese today. :-X

This was such a nice neighborhood before this troll showed up.

linuxboy

« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2010, 04:45:34 PM »
ok,  so, does one use it like cloth?

I mean, I use a cloth that is about a yard square....
Would i simply replace my muslin for this?

OR, would i form the nylon like that which is found in a Kadova liner?

Either :) You can use it in place of muslin, or if you want a really nice, easy finish, you can make a bag out of a piece. All you need is an impulse sealer and to seal an open-ended cylinder, then cut a circle with the right diameter, and then seal that into place so you have this cylindrical liner that fits inside the mold. If you just use it in place of muslin, it works exactly the same as muslin- creases and all.

wharris

« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2010, 06:29:48 PM »
Sounds mighty creative with impulse sealer....

Could an impulse sealer also be used to create custom vacuum seal bags?

linuxboy

« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2010, 06:38:01 PM »
Yep, I do it all the time when I need smaller bags or when I need to break up one sealed bag into several. I use pouches with a Vacmaster chamber vac sealer.

wharris

« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2010, 09:47:01 PM »
I am going to have to get one of those...  That, and a roll of vacuum bag material.
I am going to start vacuum sealing my larger wheels.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2010, 04:06:55 AM »
Most impulse sealers use a very thin wire, so the actual sealing area is very narrow. I always double seal when I use mine. Plenty of them on E-bay.

Plyban can easily be sewn as well. You can use an impulse sealer to make the basic cylinder and then sew a circular bottom on. HOWEVER, I have done that and you get a wicked seam that shows up in the pressed cheese anyway. You will get better results if you just put a loose circular piece in the bottom of the mold and use the cylinder. Plyban can also be heat molded, so I would like to find a way to mold a lining similar to a Kadova mold. I have never had anything stick to Plyban, so I would prefer that to the stock Kadova lining, even if it had to be replaced more often.

I would never go back to cheesecloth.

I am looking for a wholesale source for vacuum bags if anybody knows of one.

linuxboy

« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2010, 04:53:37 AM »
What kind of bags? Pouches or rolls? I have some canadian and US suppliers, but freight can be high.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2010, 05:06:00 AM »
Both. I use lots of gallon sized pouches but need rolls too. My Pro unit goes up to 15", which I need for my gift boards. I'm looking for a fairly large purchase to amortize freight.

Just bagged 6 Cabra al Vinos today for 6 different Kentucky wineries. Soaked in "their" wine for a week and bagged wet with about 1/4 cup of wine added to the bag. Tricky to vac bag without sucking out the wine. Stunning rind colors, but the sides colored up a lot better than the tops and bottoms, probably because of milk fat concentration. Very cool looking cheese.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2010, 03:52:13 AM »
Wayne on a flat sided mold like the tome mold I just cut two circles for the top and bottom and a long strip for the sides. They don't have to be sewn together the curds will hold them in place. Once you press once you can remove them and flip the cheese as normal without the cloth/plastic sheet and it will be very smooth.