Author Topic: Vacuum storage bags with manual pump  (Read 5398 times)

Spoons

Vacuum storage bags with manual pump
« on: October 11, 2010, 05:01:24 AM »
Has anyone tried these as a cheaper alternative to vac seal machines? Here's a link to a product I've seen advertised on tv.

http://www.homehardware.ca/Products/index/show/product/I4434545/name/sealer_vac_manual_w_6bags

The bags can be purchased separately at $3 per two-pack.

Mondequay

Re: Vacuum storage bags with manual pump
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 01:00:23 PM »
I don't have any experience with this one but I saw a review of similar products on America's Test Kitchens. They reported that the vacuum is compromised in about a month. Also, there was one made by Glad or Ziploc and it didn't stay on the market for long so buying bags may prove difficult. I would recommend saving your pennies for a Foodsaver.  :)
Christine

MrsKK

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 10:32:59 PM »
I've got the Seal-A-Meal and it works great.  It cost about $50, much less than the Foodsaver brand goes for around here.

KosherBaker

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 03:22:56 AM »
Hmmmm. Funny you should mention this, as food saver has just released a competing product of their own to this style of packaging/storage. They also published a coupon on their Facebook/Twitter page that makes it like $4 shipped. The code is: J0FV85FS  and the product is here

Spoons

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 11:49:49 PM »
Thanks for the responses  :D

KB, Thanks for that promotional code, but unfortunately it doesn't work (probably doesn't work outside US). So today I bought a Foodsaver, and I instantly fell in love with it ;D So convenient and easy to use! I can now see my cheeses!

Mondequay

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 12:45:40 AM »
Congrats on your new Foodsaver. You are going to find so many uses for it beyond storing cheese.

MrsKK

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 10:59:24 AM »
I used mine for almost all of my veggies this summer and am now using it to vac pack the chickens I'm butchering.  I was able to get the 5 1/2 pound roasters into the bag, but now they are getting larger than that and I don't think it will work anymore.  <Sigh>  However, I'm not ready to invest in something that will take bags wider than eleven inches, either!

Mondequay

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 12:52:23 PM »
I bag my dried veggies and fruits for longer, safe storage. After taking some out of the bag I can reseal it and worry not.

Karen, I agree, 11 inch bags are big enough. Maybe you could half the roasters?
Christine

cdonaghe

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010, 01:30:12 PM »
spoons and all,
   I've been thinking about a food saver for awhile, and I was wondering which models everyone has. I've been looking at the v2240, but would like to know what everyone else is using.

Thanks,
Charles

Mondequay

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2010, 04:57:15 PM »
I have the Gamesaver Deluxe Plus and I really love it. I never had to compare the models as this was a gift from my over-indulgent parents!  :) They bought it from Cabela's to get the points on their card!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 09:42:11 PM »
I've had several models of the foodsaver over the past several years and unless you get into the vaccum containers etc they all work about the same. Except for the coffee pot that is the most used appliance in my kitchen. Do give them time to cool off if you are putting up a lot of stuff they do burn out easily.

Karen - one thing I often do when I want to save whole chickens to large for the bag is make a cut along both sides along the rib cage where there's little meat and it will squish down quite a bit but still look whole when roasted.

Offline WhiteSageFarms

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
    • White Sage Farms
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 04:53:19 PM »
I nervously bought the handheld cordless rechargeable Food Saver from WalMart for $20. I'm relieved that it's been working perfectly so far. I've sealed five 4 pound wheels without any problems.   :)     It uses the vacuum zip lock bags and works with the deli containers.

I shop at second hand stores quite a bit, and found a Food Saver 550 that lookes like it had never been used, and got it for $5  :D

~Laurie
White Sage Farms
www.whitesagefarms.com

MrsKK

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2010, 04:32:32 AM »
I did a little experimenting and discovered that I could "pleat" the ends of the bags and still get a good seal.  So I ordered a 50 foot roll of 15 inch wide bagging material off E-bay.  Free shipping and I paid about $33 for it.  I've now been able to vacuum pack my wanna-be turkeys with no trouble at all!

I have a Seal-A-Meal and it works great for me.  I think my family paid about $45 when they bought it for me for Mother's Day.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2010, 08:35:56 PM »
I haven't used it in a number of years but I have a Seal-A-Meal that has worked for me since 1975. I sure wish they vacuumed back then because this thing won't die.