Author Topic: Thick Camms  (Read 1128 times)

ConnieG

Thick Camms
« on: October 12, 2010, 01:42:25 AM »
I had more milk and curd than I had molds when I made camms last evening so as I filled the molds, I would wait for some whey to drain out and then add more curds.  The result is that the cheese is pretty tall.  I am wondering if I should age this cheese any differently than the recipe calls for - perhaps longer - or will the bacteria take over and the size is not of importance?

I would have liked to have pressed them a bit but didn't want to squish the curds into the mat and didn't have a follower for my camm molds anyway.  When I put them into their aging containers I could see that the are going to be holes in it and the sides are not smooth.  The curd tastes a little acidic to me.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 02:38:42 AM by ConnieG »

FRANCOIS

Re: Thick Camms
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 02:25:07 AM »
Cut them in half, it will give you two smaller cheeses that you can age as normal.  Tall cheeses are fine, they just take longer to ripen.

ConnieG

Re: Thick Camms
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 07:08:19 PM »
Francois,  Thank you for the suggestion.  I wouldn't have thought about that.  I have 3 cheeses, two of the same size and one larger.  I may cut one of the identical ones and that will give me 3 sizes to watch and sample.  I'll leave the larger ones to age longer.

I notice as I turn them each day that the smell is like buttermilk - fresh, clean buttermilk - but strong none the less.  I don't remember that with the last batch.  Does this seem normal?