Author Topic: Ibores Cheese Anyone?  (Read 5321 times)

Brie

Ibores Cheese Anyone?
« on: October 12, 2010, 01:55:10 AM »
Has anyone heard of or tasted this cheese? From Spain, it is a goat milk cheee that is washed in Paprika and Olive Oil. I used a washed-curd recipe, then added a line of smoked paprika. I smeared with the olive oil/paprika for a month, then vacuum-packed for 2 months. Very, very nice smooth taste.

linuxboy

Re: Ibores Cheese Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 02:59:59 AM »
Yep, it's a classic, along with its cousin, Majorero. Lovely cheeses. There are several US cheesemakers that make clones or variants. It's not washed IIRC. Curd size 10-15 mm, 4x floc, drain pH 6.2, brine pH 5.3 at 20% brine.

Your pic looks like the cheese turned out great! :)

FarmerJd

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 03:58:18 AM »
Brie, your pics are the best.

Brie

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 04:28:30 AM »
Thanks Linux, but really want to make it as it should be. So, don't wash the curds--and I got the floc and PH you provided, but then what direction do I follow? Do you have a general recipe for this? I would greatly appreciate any guidelines anyone has.

ConnieG

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 01:41:36 PM »
If it tastes as good as it looks you have a really fine cheese there. 

linuxboy

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 03:02:23 PM »
Do you have a general recipe for this? I would greatly appreciate any guidelines anyone has.

My tomme recipe. Except don't cook the curds, start at 31-32C, and I think I was wrong, I think with the way the final moisture target is, you need the curd size to be more like 5-10mm. That's about the standard hazelnut-size curd. Oh and press with about 1-2 Kg per square centimeter of surface area. Sorry if that's not helpful, going from memory here based on what I know, and it's all metric.

This cheese is meant to be a little more crumbly so that when you slice, it holds its shape, but also breaks apart. That means a lower calcium content than a tomme, caused by a lower drain pH. It also has more tang, again, caused by lower brine pH. Your final pH target out of brine should be 5.1 and no lower.

Use kid rennet if you can get it, if not, lamb rennet, and if not that, then calf. Also use Nubian milk or nigerian or nigerian cross. The goats used for these survive in some harsh conditions and give very little milk, but their milk is really high in solids.

In terms of flavor, I actually prefer a garrotxa style that's washed. I make a hybrid that's like your cheese above with a washed curd and pimenton rind, and I like that better.

Alex

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 03:30:40 PM »
Brie' I found this PDF, I hope it might help :)

Brie

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 01:57:54 AM »
Thanks, Alex--that was definitly a thesis paper for chemistry class. Everyone loved this cheese!
Linux: Thanks for the comments--don't know if I'd like this as a tomme--but will try it out. Garrotza is interesting, and probably what I made--other than it's traditionally made with pasteurized milk and only aged a few weeks. Like to hear your comments about your making of this.

linuxboy

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 02:30:59 AM »
This is a tomme style of cheese. :) Most European farmstead and small production cheeses are. Many are variants on the basic recipe, and wash the curds, or use different milk, or culture, or size, press, and acidity schedule. Garrotxa is a tomme style, so is Ibores, so is Zamorano, so is Idiazabal, etc.

The acidity schedule for bores requires you to drain lower than a classic tomme (the one I posted) because you ripen a little longer and use a larger floc multiplier, and thus acidify longer. It also required you to use full-fat, raw milk from high fat and high solids breeds. That's difficult here, but Nubian and Nigerian/Nigerian cross should work reasonably well.

The other thing about Ibores is as I mentioned, it is rarely cooked, and uses animal rennet, and it is pressed. The classic uses raw milk, so it has indigenous lactobacilli and cocci. To use with pasteurized milk, use something like FD, and if you have a L. Lactis/plantarum adjunct, use that, too, at about .4% bulk equivalent.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 05:13:20 AM »
Brie - Your cheese is lovely! Another cheese for you girl!

I found this a few years ago - maybe it will help ...

Queso Ibores – Spain
Queso Ibores is a full-fat cheese, produced exclusively with raw milk from goats of
the breeds Serrana, Verata, Retinta and crosses thereof.
Cylindrical in form, with substantially flat outer surfaces and slightly convex on top, it is 5 to 9 cm high, with a diameter of 11 to 15 cm and weighs 650 to 1 200 g. Its rind is smooth, medium hard and traditionally coated in pepper or oil. Its natural colour is between waxen yellow and dark ochre, though this varies depending on the different types of mould that develop, from the greyish of its natural rind to the orange-red of the pepper-coated type and ochre yellow for the oil-coated version.
The interior is ivory-coloured, slightly hard, with a moist, creamy texture that varies between crumbly and spongy, and has a few small, unequally distributed holes.
Minimum fat content — 45 % of dry matter. Minimum dry matter content — 50 %. PH — 5,0 to 5,5.
Total protein content of dry matter — minimum 30 %. Maximum NaCl — 4 %.
Aroma varies between sweet and mild, typical of goats cheese made from raw milk. Typically has a strong taste: slightly tart, tangy and salty, with a slight aftertaste of goat's milk. Very pleasant on the palate.
The area where the milk is produced and the cheese manufactured includes the districts of Ibores, Villuercas, La Jara and Trujillo — a total of 35 municipalities in the Southeast of the province of Cáceres.
The product is made from raw milk, produced under the strictest conditions of hygiene and food safety, from goats of the breeds Serrana, Verata, Retinta and crosses thereof. These breeds are characterised by a number of particular qualities such as their great hardiness and capacity to adapt to extreme climates and terrain, and have traditionally been the main goat breed reared in the Queso Ibores production area. This is because other breeds are not able to reach this level of adaptability in an extensive or semi-extensive pastoral system, given the orographic conditions in the area.
Coagulation is promoted by industrially homogenised natural rennet from the abomasum in the stomachs of lactating ruminants, generally containing 80 % rennin and 20 % pepsin, and with an
average strength of 1:15 000. Coagulation takes place at a temperature of between 28 and 32 °C and lasts between 60 and 90 minutes. The curd produced is then chopped until 5 to 10 mm granules are obtained. These are then placed into authorised cylindrical moulds for shaping and pressed by special machines for 3 to 8 hours at a pressure of between 1-2 kg/cm2.
The salting process can be either dry or wet, but the agent used is always sodium chloride. With wet salting, the product may be immersed for up to 24 hours in a saline solution with a maximum
concentration of 20 °Bé.
Queso Ibores needs at least 60 days to mature. Cheese manufactured by producers using milk from their own livestock and matured for at least 100 days may be regarded as handcrafted (‘Artesano’) cheese.

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 02:14:27 PM »
That is a good-looking cheese.
I am making a goat's milk tomme today and am thinking of doing the paprika/oil rind. Brie, when did you apply the paprika? After brining, obviously, but did you age it a bit first?
Also, if I make it like a tomme, would I still inoculate the milk with B. linens, Geo, and Cylindrocarpon per usual?
Thanks,
Pam

linuxboy

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 03:20:43 PM »
but did you age it a bit first?

I start rubbing with pimonton/oil, minimum 2 weeks. Usually more like 3-4.

would I still inoculate the milk with B. linens, Geo, and Cylindrocarpon per usual?

You could, it would give another dimension of flavor. But this is supposed to age at ~85% RH, so the mold growth will not really take off and will just give you another dimension to the rind. You could let it grow a little, then kill it with the pimenton.

That rind mix you listed is meant for a low 90-s RH to encourage the b linens/geo mix. But doesn't mean you can't do it differently. It's not done traditionally, though.

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2010, 03:39:59 PM »
Thanks, LB.
Maybe I'll make another next week and make the one today with my usual mix and the pimenton and the other one without the other molds.

Brie

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2010, 12:44:43 AM »
I didn't use any yeasts at all. I aged the cheese for about 2 weeks--until the rind started firming, and then washed with a mixture of smoked paprika and olive oil 3x per week for a month. I then let it dry and vac packed. The line in the middle is a slight dusting of the smoked paprika.