Author Topic: Got my vat  (Read 6487 times)

Oude Kaas

Got my vat
« on: October 12, 2010, 03:34:17 PM »
I finally got my vat. I picked it up last week at a warehouse in the New Jersey harbor. It came from Holland where I had bought it used from the company which built it. It had come back to them as a trade in from a cheesemaker in Holland who had out grown it.

The capacity of the vat is 240 G/900 L. It was built by van http://www.vanzijllzuivelgereedschappen.nl/hoofdpagina.html, (sorry, no English) a small company of cheese making equipment in the heart of Holland. They make vats, presses, draining tables etc. and they offer a full line of related cheese making equipment. Their vats, vat pasteurizers and presses are available in North America through Glengarry Cheesemaking Supply.

I won't be able to use it yet as I still have a lot of construction to do in the creamery. But I hope by this spring to be ready to put the vat to the test.

linuxboy

Re: Got my vat
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 03:38:26 PM »
Gorgeous vat, Jos! Thanks for posting pics :)

coffee joe

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 10:08:22 PM »
That is one very nice vat. Congratulations.

Way out here in the Boonies of Brazil, the inspectors wouldn't let me have wood anything near the make process area. They are letting me have wooden shelves for drying and curing but in a separate room.
Sailor has his micro creamery going, looks like there could be a few starting up, I'm still a couple months away.

wharris

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 11:42:31 PM »
Very very nice...

I love the building too.  Looks like you have the space to do it right.  I am jealous.

MrsKK

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 03:32:41 PM »
Wowza, Oude!  Looks like you are well on your way.

I really enjoy all the directions the members of this forum are going, yet the glue that binds us together is fondue...er, cheese, but that didn't rhyme!

ConnieG

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 04:40:03 PM »
Wow, look at that!  I have vat envy.

dttorun

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 08:33:43 PM »
It looks neat and simple. Does it also have heating/cooling feature? Do you mind if I ask how much you paid?
Thanks,
Tan

Oude Kaas

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 09:04:19 PM »
Yes, it can heat and cool. It has a water jacket, the water runs between the inner stainless vat and the outer wooden (teak) wall. It is basically the same as a triple walled stainless vat except that the outer wall is wood. It can't run on steam neither can it be set up as a pasteurizer. According to the manufacturer, vats with a wooden outer wall hold the temperature better because the wood insulates better. Including shipping, handling etc, I paid about 6800 USD.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 06:14:34 AM »
That is nice congrats hon! Can't wait to see it running!

MrsKK

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2010, 11:19:13 AM »
Can't wait to see the cheeses that come out of it!

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 01:24:15 PM »
Good job, Jos. Anxiously awaiting your cheeses!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2010, 03:08:01 PM »
Beautiful piece of equipment. Will love to watch your progress.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

eddy34

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2010, 02:51:08 AM »
 Wow, that looks like a beauty!!

Do you have any more pictures ? If so, can you send them here : tony@arora.co.uk

Highfield

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 11:05:51 PM »
Nice vat but Wisconsin would not allow the wood in the make room.  I am surprised that New York does.  Do you know if the also have vats, triple wall, of stainless?

I saw a vat like this at West Highland Dairy a few years ago.  It really does look nice.

STW

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 09:38:03 PM »
Way behind the curve on this, Jos - but MAN, that is a beautiful vat.  Congratulations - can't wait to hear more on this.  Pics and posts, please!
- Paul