Author Topic: Question about Mozzarella  (Read 3955 times)

Kandrews

Question about Mozzarella
« on: October 14, 2010, 10:38:12 PM »
I made mozzarella and it turned out really good! The taste and consistency was the same as the fresh mozzarella I've bought at the store. But I've got two three questions:

1. Was I suppose to stretch the mozzarella more then once? I use a recipe from Ricki Carrol's book and it read "When the cheese stretches like taffy, it is done." However, it never mentions that I should stretch it other then to test it! I've seen a lot of photos of people "pulling" mozzarella like you see people pull old fashioned taffy, not just testing it to see if it stretches.

2. How do I get it to the consistence of the other kind of mozzarella you can buy- the kind that you can shred with a grater?

3. How long will it keep (the fresh type)? How should I store it? Mine started to taste a bit funky after two days- I used half the first day and wanted to keep the rest to use in a recipe a few days later.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 10:44:52 PM by Kandrews »

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Question about Mozzarella
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 06:20:35 AM »
I made mozzarella and it turned out really good! The taste and consistency was the same as the fresh mozzarella I've bought at the store. But I've got two three questions:

1. Was I suppose to stretch the mozzarella more then once? I use a recipe from Ricki Carrol's book and it read "When the cheese stretches like taffy, it is done." However, it never mentions that I should stretch it other then to test it! I've seen a lot of photos of people "pulling" mozzarella like you see people pull old fashioned taffy, not just testing it to see if it stretches.

The more you stretch it the stringier it gets. This alos help to remove whey from the cheese. More characteristic texture.

2. How do I get it to the consistence of the other kind of mozzarella you can buy- the kind that you can shred with a grater?

I don't know what you mean - what consistancy does it have now?

3. How long will it keep (the fresh type)? How should I store it? Mine started to taste a bit funky after two days- I used half the first day and wanted to keep the rest to use in a recipe a few days later.

Sounds like something is wrong to wet or something. It should be good for a week anyway. Mind usually keeps for a few weeks without freezing if it hasn't been used up

Thanks!

MrsKK

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 11:14:04 AM »
As Debi said, you should have stretched it more.  Stretch it and wrap it over itself (kind of like kneading it in the air) until the surface looks smooth and shiny.  I have to reheat mine a few times, normally, until it gets to that stage.

I think your consistency will improve with the stretching.  My mozz would just crumble if it weren't heated and stretched several times.

As for the keeping quality, what recipe did you use?  The citric acid method doesn't keep very long, usually 4-5 days in my experience, but as Debi said, it could also be because it was too wet/not stretched enough to get all they whey out.  Cultured mozz lasts longer, but I still freeze mine if it is going to be longer than a week until I can use it.

Kandrews

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 04:28:28 PM »
Thanks guys. I stretched it the next time I made it and it was better (not that it was bad when I barely stretched it). I ordered the book "200 Easy Homemade Cheese Recipes" by Debra Amrein-Boyes and it calls for LOTS of streching! I was using the recipe from "Home Cheesemaking" by Ricki Carroll and it did not go int detail about the stretching at all.

As for the consistency... I love the consistency I have gotten (even when I didn't stretch it) for using in lasagna and on pizza- sliced. I would like to know how to make it firmer, so that it can be grated/shredded. At Trader Joes (or most grocery stores) you can find two kinds of Mozzarella- the fresh kind, usually sold packed in water or some sort of brine (Belgioioso brand for example) and then there is the big hunk of it that is also sold preshredded (Kraft or Sargento for example). My mozzarella ends up being the kind you buy packaged in liquid- yummy, but there is NO WAY you could shred it w/o making a mess. I would love to learn how to make it the other way too. It is always saltier and MUCH firmer- almost like a provolone (but without the provolone taste ??? ). Any ideas?

As for keeping it, I think I am just used to cheese you buy in the store that lasts for weeks! MrsKK, I think you are right- 4 or 5 days is about what it lasted.

MrsKK

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 03:09:21 AM »
Did you use the citric acid method or did you use a culture to make your mozz?  I've found that the cultured variety grates better, but it can still kind of fall apart on me.  It's still my favorite version, even if it can be messy.

Kandrews

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 03:21:30 PM »
I've only done the citric acid recipe so far. I will have to try the cultured recipe next. Do you know of a good one?

MrsKK

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 11:18:00 PM »
Here is my two-day mozzarella recipe.

Kandrews

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 05:05:49 AM »
Thanks!  :D I'll let you know how it turns out!

christianrussell90

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 01:56:24 AM »
Mozzarella made with acidic acid(citric acid, vinegar) makes a higher moisture cheese which means more calcium lost. So that's why fresh mozzarella Is softer. Also butterfat,spoilage is another issue with fresh mozz due to water activity and, no presence of lactic acid bacteria.

tananaBrian

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 12:24:40 AM »
I've only done the citric acid recipe so far. I will have to try the cultured recipe next. Do you know of a good one?

I'm an absolute newb, but I did read that you cut the curds larger for higher moisture content, and cut them smaller for lower moisture content.  Maybe try cutting curds that are 1/2" or slightly smaller for the firmer version?  I wonder if that would work...

Brian