Author Topic: Feta Cheese Brine - pH & Calcium Questions & Answers  (Read 4780 times)

HaveFun

Feta Cheese Brine - pH & Calcium Questions & Answers
« on: October 17, 2010, 02:14:37 AM »
Hello

the pH from the brine have to be the same as the pH from the cheese.

If the pH from the brine is to high then the Calsol from the cheese goes in to the brine - is that right ?

but what happend if the pH from the brine is to low ?

and what happend if i have to much Calsol in the Brine ?

Thanks

Karl

linuxboy

Re: Feta Cheese Brine - pH & Calcium Questions & Answers
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 12:39:02 AM »
Hello

the pH from the brine have to be the same as the pH from the cheese.

Yes, generally. You can have slight variations of a few hundredfold (.1-.2). Calcium is more important.
If the pH from the brine is to high then the Calsol from the cheese goes in to the brine - is that right ?

Not necessarily, no. pH is secondary, calcium balance is primary. If calcium is in balance, whey pH is... say 6.0, cheese pH is, say 5.3, the rate of salt uptake will be slower because the ionic flow will be fighting lactate ions. Generally, you want to get pH pretty close. Also, the higher whey pH will cause some calcium leeching.
but what happend if the pH from the brine is to low ?

Assuming calcium is in balance? Slightly faster salt uptake, some slight cheese acidification. Also depends what acid you used to acidify and just how low a pH you're talking about. a pH of 1 is different from a pH of 4.5, even with balanced calcium. In general, a lower pH will also harden the outer layer.
and what happend if i have to much Calsol in the Brine ?

outer layer of the cheese will harden some, causing slower salt uptake. If too little calcium in brine, that's when you get the slimeyness.

the pH is more about speed of general ionic transfer and the calcium levels are more about the uptake or leeching of calcium. The worst possibility is either too high or too low pH with very poor calcium levels. In both cases, leeching and slimey layer will be extreme. That's why I say calcium level balance is more crucial. They're both crucial in reality, but calcium level difference is noticeable faster.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 12:56:36 AM by linuxboy »

nilo_669

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 11:57:26 AM »
Linux how can we control Calcium levels?

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 03:25:41 PM »
In the brine? By adding CaCl2. I've never had a case in an established brine of actually having too much calcium. The deficit of it has been an issue at times.

Gustav

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 04:50:48 PM »
I found that by using the whey as a brine & adding some CaCl works fine.
My cheese became mushy in the past, but that stopped when I started salting & drying it before brining it.

nilo_669

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 12:31:07 AM »
Hi Linux , i had problems with brining my Buffalo Mozzarella because everytime i submerge it in the brine the skin becomes slimy ,that was when " i didnt understand the chemistry behind Equilibrium of Whey and Cheese" , you were right the lower the Ph of the whey would make the skin of the cheese firmer , that is all i need for the past couple of months. Now i can Preserve my Mozzarella in a pouch without affecting the clarity of my whey brine for at least 25 days.