Author Topic: First Gouda- Brine Questions??  (Read 3287 times)

Melle12

First Gouda- Brine Questions??
« on: October 17, 2010, 01:37:18 PM »
Today, I removed my first 2 gallon Gouda from it's mold and placed it into the brine...now the questions:
My Gouda is floating in the brine with just the bottom above water- is this normal?  I am hoping it will sink as it takes on salt? 
Ricki's recipe says to brine for 12 h and here it recommends to brine 3-4 h per lb (6-8h for me, I'm assuming)- what do you recommend?
I made the brine yesterday (1 gallon spring water, 2lb cheese salt, 1T calcium chloride), and I cooled it and refridgerated it.  After this what kind of container do you use to keep it in  the fridge?  Currently, I have it in a big stainless bowl, and it's fine for a day but a bit much for long term storage  (not to mention it lacks a lid).

Thanks for the help and sharing of expertise!

Alex

Re: First Gouda- Brine Questions??
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 03:27:18 PM »
Act according to this forum's recommendation, otherwise you'll get a very salty cheese.
Keep your brine in a leaded glass/plastic container.

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 04:57:31 PM »
You should flip the cheese half way through the total brining time. Mine always float.

Likesspace

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 12:52:21 AM »
Mine also always float yet only the very top of the cheese is out of the brine. I also flip it about halfway through the brining period.
One other thing......
I always save some of the whey I have drained and use it for brining. I have never had a cheese "melt" using this method.

Dave

INGrandad

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 11:46:13 PM »
Salt is funny stuff. Not cheese related but I'd imagine this applies. WHen you brine meats you want to take them out and and give them time to set for bit before smoking. THe charge in the molecules will cause the salt to evenly disperse throughout the meat. I'd think the same applies for cheeses, at least to some degree. So whether one side or another received more exposure to the brine, it may be that it'll, at least to some degree, even itself out.

I'm glad I stopped by here as I made my first gouda yesterday, and it's been in the brine 4 hours now so I'm gonna go pull it.

German Cheese Girl

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 05:15:50 AM »
I think Ricki's recipe leaves it in wayyyy too long.  I have mad lots of Goudas, and it tends to make them too salty and tough when they are in the brine too long...

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 01:45:39 AM »
Length of brine time also relates to the size of the cheese. Smaller = less.

Along with a cheese being too salty, a cheese that doesn't have enough brine time or hand-salting lacks flavor & protection. You have to pay attention to that and when you sample your cheeses down the road and compare your notes and your palate.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 06:15:57 PM »
I always put a plate on top of the cheese when bringing with a cup of water or something on top to sink them but you still have to trn them to get even exposure.

Grandad I do agree with the curing and salt distribution being similar to meat - although I think it takes much longer with cheese.