Author Topic: Provolone & Mozarella Curd Formation Problems  (Read 5231 times)

wh1sp3r

Re: Provolone & Mozarella Curd Formation Problems
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2010, 04:45:04 PM »
so, the result.

after three hours from injecting rennet .. i was able to cut it into small cubes, but when i tried it to stir a little, they melt down .. and it was yogurt again. So, what i should do ?

the temperature was about 40-42degrees. All recipes says 32.5 degrees, but culture manufacture says, temperature should be more than 38 degrees.

what's the problem now ? should i try less cultures, more rennet and try 32.5degrees ?

MrsKK

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2010, 02:13:16 PM »
This reply is probably too late to help with the cheese you were making when you posted, but hopefully you will have had some success.

What recipe are you using?  The recipe should have a measurement of how much culture to add to the milk.  the original post was regarding Provolone, the board has a recipe here.  This recipe says the culture amount is usually 1/8 tsp per gallon of milk.

As for clean break, the curd is there when you gently lift your finger through the curd (not a place you have tested before) and the curd breaks apart with very clean-cut lines.  The curd will hold together except for where your finger or knife comes up through it.  You may have some milk or small curd left on your finger, but not much.  Much thicker than yogurt, almost gelatinous.

So hard to describe, but once you see it you will know it.

wh1sp3r

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2010, 04:13:21 PM »
Hello,
I used this recipe http://cheeseforum.org/Recipes/Recipe_Mozzarella.htm

Now, doing third attempt :) I added same amount of thermo cultures like before, perhaps a bit more + i added more rennet then before.

I will see later :) hehe

wh1sp3r

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2010, 05:23:11 PM »
hour and half from injecting rennet ... nothing .. still milk, lol .. i bought a different milk than last time .. damn :(

wh1sp3r

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2010, 05:51:29 PM »
what should i do ? thermal cultures says, temperature should not decrease below 38 C, in recipe, i should have temperature on 32.5 C ...

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2010, 08:23:46 PM »
Is the milk you are using UP? Exactly how much culture  and rennet did you use?
If you give more details, it's easier to pinpoint your problems.
Pam :D

wh1sp3r

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2010, 08:35:39 PM »
Hello, thank for reply :)

Sorry, i don't know, what UP means, i don't know english shortcuts :) but ! i went to the shop and bought different milk from different company and now it looks very promising. I see a nice coagulation.. so, i will let it a hour in piece and i will test it with finger.

i will write all results later with all details.
thank you for replaying to me

KosherBaker

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2010, 03:42:32 AM »
Whisper.

UP stands for Ultra Pasteurized, and it has been discussed extensively on these boards that Ultra Pasteurized milk is not good for cheese making.

The other point Pam was trying to make is that you are neither posting your recipes nor are you providing any details on the steps you are taking from beginning to end, when making your cheese, leaving people to guess, or go inside your head, to see what's happening. :) The more info you supply the better help you will get.

Welcome to the board.