Author Topic: Made a new batch today  (Read 1292 times)

lthaus

Made a new batch today
« on: October 23, 2010, 08:27:26 PM »
I showed my 6yo how to make Moz today. I think for my second batch it came out good.
We use the cheese making kit recipe with citric acid.

After we attempted to make knots we put the balls in an ice water bath that had some salt in it.   Problem is the cheese is now "melty" I dried the batch and put in a zipbag. Just wondering what I did wrong.

Thx

V

lthaus

Re: Made a new batch today
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 03:24:47 AM »
No one? 

ReallY?

Well the good news is the next day in the frig, the cheese seems to have firmed up on the surface.. 

I think I may have needed a 'saturated' solution for the brine, but I know I didn't have that..

v

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 03:32:56 AM »
Hi V,
I'm no expert on mozz. I have also had a slight sliminess develop in the brine even though I've added acid and CaCl.
There is a good mozz recipe on http://www.wacheese.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48:traditional-mozzarella-howto&catid=43:moderate-cook-temp&Itemid=66, from Linuxboy. There is a brine recipe at the end.
Pam

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 03:45:37 AM »
yep, that's a decent pickle at the end. You have to balance the calcium and acidity. for longer term storage of mozz, acidity is key. It needs to be at about 4.9-5.1. Calcium doesn't have to be drastically high, needs to be in balance.