Author Topic: The differences between molds  (Read 1913 times)

susanky

The differences between molds
« on: October 23, 2010, 11:40:39 PM »
As I begin my cheesemaking adventures I am trying not just to blindly follow receipes but to understand each step and why it is important.  Which brings me to molds.  Other than size, I am having a hard time understanding the differences.  For instance, why do some have holes on the sides and others do not?  Either way, you are trying to allow an exit for the whey, right?  And why do some have a bottom and other not?  If no bottom then need holes on the side?  But they don't seem to follow that simple rule.  What is the difference between a 'hoop' and a mold?  Can someone enlighten me?
Susan

cheeseinmymouth

Re: The differences between molds
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 08:04:12 AM »
As far as I know they are the same thing.  At least, in my experience they have been interchangeable.

linuxboy

Re: The differences between molds
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 02:24:05 PM »
Susan, it's about history. Some curds were drained or drained and pressed, and had a bottom. The cheese was left and pressed to form. Some were just hooped to form the shape and the top was pressed with a follower. French lactic cheeses that are flipped repeatedly, for example, do not have bottoms. And ones that are left to drain do. Molds that are pressed tend to have fewer holes on the bottom that for cheeses that are not pressed.

It's actually about utility and history. And yes, generally, they are fairly interchangeable.