Author Topic: Humidity The Final Frontier...Now Playing!  (Read 2876 times)

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
Humidity The Final Frontier...Now Playing!
« on: December 10, 2008, 07:24:13 PM »
PROBLEM SOLVED...SWEEEEET.

I called the makers of Humidipak for cigars and they make a 84%, 93% and a 95% pack and they are all $4 and $5 for the 95%. So you can have one for each tupperware and keep the correct humididty. I don't know how they would work for the larger cheese caves, but do you really need that humidity when you are in a regular aging environment? I spoke to the president of the company and he's sending me some sample to test. The packs are reuseable and he said in a sealed enviroment like a tupperware it would last 6 months before having to add water. The only problem I see is that you should only use blue cheese one with other blue cheese, of course. I'll be getting some next week and I'll see how they perform and let ya'll know.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
Re: Humidity The Final Frontier...Now Playing!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 04:32:02 AM »
I just recieved the 95% humidipaks and I'll be testing them this week. I'll keep everyone informed.

Brian

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 12:27:46 AM »
Do you have a link?

Thanks

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 03:49:02 AM »

Get it, link. I hope you appreciate the humor. You have no idea how hard it was to find a decent sausage picture on the web.

http://www.boveda-direct.com/index.cfm

You'll have to call them for the 95% and 93% as they have to custom make them. The 84% is in their shopping cart.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 08:29:53 AM »
Ok problem not completely solved. In my small aging frig, 1.7 cu. ft., 2 packs of 95% didn't bring the humidity up. But when I put one pack in a Sterilite (knock off rubbermaid brand) plastic container, not air tight at all but has a lid, it did stay at 95-96% humidity once in my wine cellar, which at the time was 50% humidity. So the question is, is there more air exchange in the small frig than I realize? Were the two packs not enough for that space? BTW this was not a fan forced frig, just cooling tubes. Or did the cold on the outside of the plastic container help contain the humidity because it couldn't condense on the cooling coils?

Who knows, but I do know that a plate of water in bottom of a frig, as some cheese making books call for, do absolutely nothing, useless. What you need is surface area. A couple of wet paper towels over the edge of a bowl of water to act as wick might work. What I do is have a bottle of distilled water and spray the walls on the inside of the frig when the humidity starts to drop. I have a remote humidity monitor on the front of the frig so I just look at it as I walk by without opening the frig door.

Brian

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 03:41:19 PM »
Hah!
Thanks for the "link"!

Brian

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 05:20:55 AM »
No problem. Enjoy the sausage too. I would only use these humidity packs to humidify small tupperware containers, they won't work for large areas.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 05:35:54 AM by Cartierusm »