Author Topic: Intro from Newbie in Tahiti - trouble getting stuff  (Read 980 times)

kleeheike

Intro from Newbie in Tahiti - trouble getting stuff
« on: October 24, 2010, 06:21:37 PM »
Hi Everybody, I'm German and live in Tahiti. I'm a newbie and have made yogurt so far, cream cheese (drained yogurt basically) and one failed attempt at mozzarella. My problems are No access to raw milk, fresh milk very expensive and the rest is HP milk...also, I can't find buttermilk! That's what brought me here - I'm looking for a buttermilk substitute, if it exists.

Cheese Head

Re: Intro from Newbie in Tahiti - trouble getting stuff
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 03:05:07 AM »
Welcome kleeheike in Tahiti!

I believe you are in a wonderful place and as the first one in French Polynesia I've just added you to our list!

Moz is a very tough cheese, recommend reading that Board.

On milk, sounds like you only have access to UHT milk, if you search the boards on UHT I think that you will find that it is good for lactic acid type cheeses.

But for them you need a Mesophilic Starter Culture. As you have no access to buttermilk, I think you will need to mail order some, from where you are I suggest an Ozzie or Kiwi supply store? US store may be cheaper with current exchange rates.

Anyone else have ideas?

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 03:17:47 AM »
Wow, this forum draws in folks from all corners of the world. Amazing.

What I read was that you do have access to HP(homogenized/pasteurized) milk. That should do just fine for you. The next step is to order some cultures online and start making cheese. I would agree with John about the mozzarella...maybe hold off and do some other cheese styles first.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 03:27:14 PM »
Welcome kleeheike -

Raw milk is nice but not necessary as long as the milk is not Ultra High Temperature (UHT) or Extended Shelf Life (ESL) processed. BAsicall if the milk expiration date is longer than 10 days you know that's it. Here in the US they don't always mark the milk processing so you have to watch for it.

countrygirl

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 04:57:13 AM »
Hi Kleeheike,
What a lovely name.
Here in Australia I was able to get all my supplies through  Green living Australia. Their website is www.greenlivingaustralia.com.au
They might be able to help you.