Author Topic: A Cheese Head from Wisconsi  (Read 2260 times)

Cheezpleez

A Cheese Head from Wisconsi
« on: October 24, 2010, 07:12:42 PM »
Hi all, yup, from Wisconsin, grew up on and around dairy farms most of my life, but never made any cheese ourselves. I think that is incredible considering we did everything else from scratch.
Every little town in Northern WI back in the '50s and '60 had a Frigo Cheese factory to bring our milk to, to be made into cheese, so I suppose that was why we didn't make our own.
Obviously I love cheese or I wouldn't be here. My specialty as far as food goes is smoking meats. I have done this since I could reach the first rack in the smoker and tend the fire. Any meat will do, whether it be beef, poultry, pork, fish or wild game, cold smoked or hot. I have hundreds of recipes for meat/sausage and even vegetables/grains.
In the Army I toured Europe and enjoyed many a fine Cheese/Wine/Beer and Sea Food.
I'm an Electrician by trade, with an Instrumentation/Control certification, so I love to monkey with stuff.
I burn corn for heat in the winter, which has a web site that is informational like this one, with everyone sharing their tips and tricks.
I haven't even started to buy any equipment to start with the cheese making process, I like to read and search a lot before going into something, so that's what I've been doing here for a couple of months, making sure it's something I truly can do, having the time to do it. Now I see that the answer is yes after reading a lot on this site.
So  another challenge has been set by myself......make cheese.....good cheese.....and enjoy the making and eating of it!!!!!!!!!!
I'll have questions, but will try and search for the answers first. Oh, and I will at some point test the parameters of recipes and delve into challenges of a small, for personal use cheese maker.
It's my nature. ;)

linuxboy

Re: A Cheese Head from Wisconsi
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 07:52:47 PM »
Welcome :)

FarmerJd

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 08:13:38 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

akoz16

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 09:05:35 PM »
A fellow Electrician. Did you apprentice in the army?

MrsKK

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 12:55:35 AM »
I'm in west central WI - are you still up north?  Welcome to the CheeseForum!

Cheese Head

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 02:48:07 AM »
Welcome Cheezpleez, nice intro! I used to see people using corn husks and chaff for heating in rural China, but that was 15 years ago.

jackdag

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 03:21:42 AM »
Welcome you will find a lot of usefull information this forum and website are numbr 1 about cheesemaking and all members are very great

Welcome again from a Philippine Cheesemaker

JMB

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 02:42:47 PM »
Welcome from SW Wisconsin.

Cheezpleez

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 06:33:50 PM »
I'll post in one reply to a couple of questions, as not to clutter up the thread.
No I didn't serve an apprenticeship in the Army. I had worked construction for a couple of years prior to joining the Army. When I got out I went back into construction.
I'm in Green Bay, WI. I guess to some that's up Nort'. I grew up and lived most of my life about 120 north of here. Work is a problem up there so I'm here mostly because of work.
Thanks for the welcome, sure to talk to you all again.
Thanks

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 03:21:15 PM »
Welcome aboard CP!

I'm an avid smoker and sausage maker also. Just got a call this morning I have 112 pounds of pork butts in and 100 + pounds of pork bellies for bacon scheduled for butchering on Thursday! WooHoo!