Author Topic: ? re curd setting time  (Read 1492 times)

JoannaCW

? re curd setting time
« on: October 25, 2010, 02:29:14 PM »
I'd like to understand more about the importance of setting time between renneting and cutting curd.  Today my cheddar seemed to set hard, to the point of breaking cleanly,  almost immediately after the rennet was added.  I wasn't sure whether I could cut it anyway or whether it was better to let it sit for the time prescribed in the recipe (1 hour).  I know that at some points the amount of time in which the cheese is left sitting impacts acid levels; I haven't seen any pH markers for cheddar before the curds are cut.  So I don't know whether it set too quickly because too acidic, in which case I should probably be cutting t quickly, or whether it needs more setting time to develop proper pH and other characteristics.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Joanna

linuxboy

Re: ? re curd setting time
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 03:03:54 PM »
Setting time before cut is not about pH (in the sense of targetting pH), it is about targetting a final moisture target in the cheese, which is determined by the gel strength. The gel strength is determined by milk pH, rennet amount, and set time. A very helpful was to combine all three is to use the idea of flocculation. I've written about this before, and Debi posted a helpful chart with common ranges for cheese styles. If you search for flocculation, you can find our past discussions.

Using clean break is a very subjective way of doing it.

You don't measure pH before curd cut because that marker is rather pointless. Again, you're after a specific gel strength. It doesn't matter what that pH level is if you standardize milk and add rennet at 6.5-6.6. Then you cook the curds to release whey and try to get the temperature+ stir schedule to get you to a final moisture target in the curds so that the moisture target coincides with the pH target. A range of pH targets are valid for cheddar for the drain pH... from 6.0-6.2 or so. The more important aspect is again moisture.

For cheddar, you target a moisture content based on what kind it is. For a long-aged cheddar like a 2-3 year old, you need a lower moisture target or about 35%. For common commercial 90-180 day aged, it's more like 37%. This makes a big difference. I can use the exact same culture and pH points but different moisture and salt targets and get completely different cheddars through aging.

JoannaCW

Re: ? re curd setting time
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 03:52:55 PM »
Thank you very much for the clarification.  I'll try this next time.