Author Topic: Kadova group buy  (Read 8827 times)

linuxboy

Kadova group buy
« on: October 25, 2010, 11:08:19 PM »
Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,3869.msg36979.html#msg36979

Interest has been a little low to warrant a group buy (only 5 people have e-mailed me), and if we want to keep costs low, it would be great if others jumped in. Otherwise, it doesn't seem worthwhile to try anything. Or we still might, but with shipping, the costs are rather high.

One of the confusions seems to be regarding the wide variety of mold options available through The Cheese Mould Shop. Another confusion seems to be that there's no pricing available without e-mailing.

To correct the first confusion, please see the following recommendations for suggested Kadova molds based on the cheese size you want to make.

For small 1 lb cheeses (using 10% yield from 1 gal milk)
4030 Gouda shape

For larger cheeses, using 4-5 gallons milk
4060 Gouda shape

for 7-8 gal batches
4070 Gouda shape

For 8-10 gal batches
4080 Gouda shape

For Manchego
1500 gram size (~4 gal milk)

Don't worry about getting all the parts right (base, lid, net, net lid) in your e-mail. I'll know what you mean. But if you want to buy an additional net, please specify that.

As for the second confusion regarding not having pricing available in this thread, I cannot get pricing for final group buy because it depends on the volume. There's no critical volume, but it would be good if more than 5 people were interested.

To repeat, please e-mail me for a quote (pav @ wacheese.com), which I will give after a little more time to make sure everyone has a chance to e-mail, and the e-mail is not a commitment.

As for the cheaper French molds (without net), I think I will just put them in the online store after they arrive. Seems easiest for everyone to do more normal online shopping.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 11:19:07 PM by linuxboy »

Groves

Re: Kadova group buy
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 01:56:15 AM »
I realize that final pricing is not available until you have a total quantity in mind.

Having said that, do you have a range or a top end of the pricing for each of these molds? I have no idea whether you're talking $5 or $50 per mold.

mightyjesse

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 01:28:17 PM »
I guestimated my top price based on the price to buy direct from the website. In this case, the shipping is the deal-breaker for me.

TroyG

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 04:42:01 PM »
Sorry I missed this Pav. I will send you an email. :-)

zenith1

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 12:53:53 PM »
Hi Pav- sent you an email with my want list-

ConnieG

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 02:40:51 AM »
Hey Pav,

Do you think this is going anywhere?  I'm really wanting a Manchego mold.

motochef

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 03:35:00 AM »
Glengarry is has them but you have to convert from Canadian to us dollars. If you order from her you I was told to ask for Rush on the order and she will get them to you quicker. At least here you can get some prices to look at and compare. The  Manchego is about $173.00 US

http://glengarrycheesemaking.on.ca/wax.htm
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 03:43:27 AM by motochef »

ConnieG

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 01:17:11 PM »
UGGG yes, those are expensive molds.... and I  just ordered a 40 Qt stock pot!  I know they come in 4 sizes - I'll have to call and ask what size that one it. 

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 05:47:54 AM »
Connie,

Size you'll need depends on your yield. 40 quarts or 10 gallons = 86 pounds. A 10% yield would give you 8.6 pounds of cheese. Your milk, the fat content, and the type of cheese make a big difference in the yield.

ConnieG

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2010, 02:53:22 PM »
I think I wouldn't put more than 8  or 9 gallons into the pot at once just to leave room to work.  The milk is from a Guernsey - so good fat, and protein, and cheese yield.  I get about 3  gallons a day because I still milk share with the calf in the mornings. (I like the freedom of having him as a relief milker when I have to be out of town but he's getting big and pushy - so his time may be limited). 

I hope the weight isn't too  much for my glass top stove - but if it breaks oh well - I dislike the glass top for that very reason.   I'd be forced to buy a new gas range  >:D.  I will have to develop a new routine to deal with the weight of the milk and pot (pot is 18 lbs empty) with regard to my ability to lift and pour.

linuxboy

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 07:11:21 PM »
Thanks everyone for e-mailing. I think enough time has passed and I will close the window for this group buy. I am going to compile an RFQ with everyone's inquiries and try to get final pricing from multiple distributors to make sure we can get the best pricing. I will try to follow up with everyone and e-mail back this week, and then will follow up again once we have final pricing options. Then, you can decide if you want to participate or not based on the quotes I receive.

smilingcalico

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2010, 10:41:20 PM »
Hi linuxboy,  I just caught this post.  I think a group buy is a great idea.  I'm probably too late for this one, but maybe if you posted the results of your quote, you could entice more people to join the next group buy, since it seems you may have had a slightly low turn out for this buy.

linuxboy

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 03:17:49 AM »
Okay, I got quotes from all vendors who sell Kadova molds, new and used, and e-mailed back everyone who e-mailed me. Sorry for the delay in putting everything together, but it should all be ready to go.

smilingcalico, you are not too late. It took a while for vendors to respond, and while I was waiting for enough people to make it worthwhile. For pricing, please e-mail me.

KosherBaker

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 04:24:27 AM »
Doh! I was watching the other thread the whole time and didn't know about this one. Is it over? Also is it worth adding a post to the other thread telling people about this new thread just in case it isn't over?

Sorry Pav, thanks for doing this either way.

linuxboy

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 06:43:10 AM »
Thanks to everyone who participated. You should have either received the molds by now, or they're on the way. I think it worked out very well for everyone. We were able to take advantage of a decent exchange rate and save on shipping.

Rudy, please e-mail me.