Author Topic: Hello.. Im a newbie  (Read 888 times)

Tiffany

Hello.. Im a newbie
« on: October 31, 2010, 02:06:17 AM »
Hello to everyone!
My name is Tiffany.. I am new to your forum.  I am a 43 yo mother of 3, married for 23 years and live on a small farm.  We are quite self sufficient, growing our own garden.  As well as chickens, sheep, llama/alpaca and a Jersey names Clarice. 
We offer Cow shares and alot of milk goes to share holders in a week, however I find I am still buried in milk on a daily basis.  I have been making butter and skimming cream for people.  BUT STILL.. too much milk.  So  this would obviouisly bring me to making cheese.  I have dabbled in it some when we had milk goats.  I currently have a small THIN wheel of Gouda aging, but again.. YEP  more milk!  so tomorrow I hope to start more cheese.  I think I will stick to the Gouda until I get it good.  lol.. Im not sure my Gouda is so Gooda..
My biggest issue is aging.  I dont have a proper area for it.  and knowing the different cultures.  so many meso and such..
so I joined this forum to hopefully get some insite, tips, clues and HELP  :o  when I need it. 
I look forward to chatting and reading about CHEESE!
Tiffany
Dimondale, Michiga

Mondequay

Re: Hello.. Im a newbie
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 02:14:08 AM »
Welcome, Tiffany, sounds like you have a nice thing going. Good idea to stick with the gouda for a while. I love making washed curd cheeses and have a cave full of gouda and havarti.

You've found the best forum, your questions will be answered here.
Christine

susanky

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 11:46:52 AM »
Welcome Tiffany!  You can search the site and find answers to most any questions.  How much milk do you get from your cow each day?  She sounds like a champ.  I also get milk from Jersey cows (not mine) and am amazed at the difference from one cow to the next.  Volume, cream content etc vary widely.  What do you find is the easiest way to skim the cream?  So far I do best with a stainless steel soup ladle.
Susan

zenith1

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 01:13:54 PM »
Welcome Tiffany- you have come to the place to start for sure. Good bet sticking to one type of cheese for a few makes. Then try another that has your interest. Initially search the forum for answers to any specific questions that you may have. You can pick up a lot of information that way. If you don't find the information that you need start posting and get ready for the flood gates to open. People here are very good at responding to posts with a lot of information based on the experience and learning. Good luck in your future cheese makes.

Cheese Head

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 03:27:03 PM »
Welcome Tiffany, have fun here!