Author Topic: Manchego  (Read 4325 times)

ConnieG

Manchego
« on: October 31, 2010, 02:56:43 AM »
A few weeks back I got out to the city and went to a good cheese shop and I picked out samples of different kinds of cheeses that I only read but don't have a flavor reference.  Some were by maker, Landaff, Cowgirl creamery's Mt. Tam, and other were more by type:  triple cream, Morbier, camboloza, or region: Tome de Basque Vache, and one or two arrived without ID (grrr).  I enjoyed everyone of them, but it was the MANCHEGO that I fell in love with!  So!  Manchego here I come!

Sailor Con Queso

Re: Manchego
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 03:59:29 AM »
Connie,

Real Manchego is made from sheep's milk. Do you have access to sheep's milk? If not, there are a couple of tricks that I use. First, use a little sharp Lipase. Not too much, you don't want it tasting like Parmesan. Second, add a little bit of Lactobacillus helveticus (a thermo starter) to give a more complex flavor. Last, age at least 6 months if you want a great flavor. It's OK younger, but the extra time is really worth it. You can also try adding some goat's milk, but I haven't done that.

I have several friends from Spain and they tell me that I have the best Manchego they have had since leaving Spain. When they ask where I get the sheep's milk I just grin and say "It's a secret". >:D

ConnieG

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 11:35:57 AM »
Sailor,  Thank you for letting me in on your secret.   :-*  When I read  sheep's milk I thought, "Oh No".  I have a large Tome mold - I think that will have to do for now.

zenith1

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 01:17:36 PM »
Connie- good choice of cheese, one of my favorites also. I make it in a similar fasion to Sailor but use mild lipase instead of the sharp for the same reason that Sailor does. You want it to be close to the flavor of authentic sheeps milk cheese and yet not taste like a grana.

ConnieG

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 01:35:01 AM »
So, would the appropriate culture be the Thermo C from the Dairy Connection? 

zenith1

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 05:48:31 PM »
Connie you could very well use the Thermo C  as it has S Thermophilus and Lactobacillus Helviticus. You will also need a meso culture because of the lower temps in the ripening phase. That's the fun part of cheesemaking- making it you own by playing with the various cultures to arrive at your own unique flavor profile. Don't forget the lipase also to create that little background sharpness that is so familiar in sheep milk cheeses.

ConnieG

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 06:02:30 PM »
Zenith 1, Thank you!

I think I've found  my cheese family to begin to 'major' in!  I appreciate the suggestions as I'm pretty new to cheese making and so far have been working on getting basic recipes to work.  There is lots to be learned by experimentation.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 10:01:00 PM »
Connie,

The L. helveticus is an adjunct culture. As Z says, you still have to add your regular Meso starter. Which one? That's up to you. That's what makes it "your" cheese.

Manchego is actually a pretty easy cheese to make. However, if you simply follow most recipes, it is kind of bland. Experiment and make it your own.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 03:27:40 AM »
I've had good luck with Meso Type B, Thermo Type B and Lh 100 from Dairy Connections for this cheese. I also prefer to age it 6 to 9 months minimum.

zenith1

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 02:23:18 PM »
Right on Deb- that seems to be the sweet spot for the aging.

ConnieG

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 06:05:02 PM »
Oh cool!  I might actually have those in my freezer too!

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 06:50:00 PM »
Connie, Use your regular dose of Meso and just a little bit of the Thermo with L. helveticus. Don't overdo it or it will start to taste like Parmesan.

ConnieG

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 07:40:03 PM »
OK!  I have to be away this weekend but I'll try it on my return.

zenith1

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 08:26:19 PM »
what about pressing schedule? I have been using the following and as always I'm sure there is room for improvement.
1.2 PSI for 15 min
flip
1.2 PSI for 15 min
flip
1.2 PSI for 15 min
flip
2.4 PSI for 6 hours

How does this compare with everyone practices?

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2010, 10:36:33 PM »
That's a little light. I do mine around 4-5 psi.