Author Topic: First blue attempt, seems a bit soft  (Read 1792 times)

INGrandad

First blue attempt, seems a bit soft
« on: October 31, 2010, 12:46:11 PM »
Made my first attempt at a blue yesterday, flipped it all day, left it in the mold over night. THis morning I took it from the mold and it was bit of a trick to handle; soft. Got it salted, got it in its new home in a cooler.

My question is, will this stiffen a bit before I have to handle it again? The curds seemed to behave yesterday, everything went as per RC's book.

Thoughts or insights? Thanks in advance.

Sailor Con Queso

Re: First blue attempt, seems a bit soft
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 01:41:55 PM »
You need to leave it in the mold for 2 or 3 days until it firms up.

Mondequay

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 02:01:36 PM »
I used that recipe too and left it in the mold 2 days. Although it was firm enough to handle, when I put it in the cradle for a few hours it became very misshapen (kind of a rounded triangular shape.) After that I just put it on end. That was about 10 days ago. The blue is showing up nicely now but it feels really slimy and I dread turning it every day. Not sure I want to make this again...  I hope yours goes better.
Christine

INGrandad

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 04:17:23 PM »
Thanks Sailor, I've got in back in the mold now.

Christine, let's never let a little failure or trouble keep us from having a good time. If this one doesn't make it, the next one will and we'll learn from each one.

Mondequay

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 04:53:35 PM »
My fear is that this is a success! The idea of turning that slimy mass is a little too much for me; I'm thinking of putting that on my husband's list!

INGrandad

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 10:27:09 AM »
Ha, I'm sure he'll be happy to do that for you.

Well I went back and re-read the instruction and sho nuff, I missed the part in the last paragraph about letting set in the mold. Completely misunderstood it. Usually the case isnt' it?

INGrandad

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 02:31:35 AM »
Bit of a follow up, this cheese is looking pretty decent I think, at least for a first attempt. Got some nice coverage by the mold, it seems to be int he hols I poked and growing well. One concern, it sure is a *$&%^# trying to turn it without doing damage, and kind of creeps me out after I handle it how dark and slimy it is where I touch it. Part of the game I guess. And oh, it smells sooOOooo good.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 05:35:42 AM »
Sounds like it's doing exactly what it's supposed to. One little trick. I use what's called plastic canvas circles. You can generally buy these at craft stores for some sort of needlepoint. Locally they are just 59 cents each, but there are tons on Ebay. I do 8" wheels, so I use 9" circles. As soon as they come out of the hoop, I put my blues on a circle and put another circle on top. These stay with the blue until they're ready to bag. Makes flipping MUCH less messy and prevents a lot of damage to the cheese.

INGrandad

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 10:30:44 AM »
Sailor, thanks for the info, could I bother you for a link so that I get the correct items?

BTW, this cheese is driving me nuts. Got it in a good sized Tupperware, check it daily, the smell is wonderful and it's looking really tempting.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 04:30:33 PM »
Depends on the size of your wheel. I do 8" wheels so I use 9" circles, but here's a link.

Plastic Canvas on Ebay

These are also available at most craft stores and are usually cheaper than Ebay because there is no shipping charges.

INGrandad

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 02:58:31 AM »
Ahh, looks very useful, thank you very much.