Author Topic: Mold  (Read 3651 times)

Brian

Mold
« on: December 12, 2008, 02:43:49 AM »
Greetings folks.
I have two Romanos aging as we speak.  On is a little larger than the other.  The larger one is getting mold on it like the photos in this thread.
http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,165.0.html

I used brine and cheesecloth to wipe it down.  Temp is 52 degrees and humidity is around 80%.  My Gouda on another shelf is fine as my two waxed chedders.
I'll use vinager next time I think.

The fact that the smaller one isn't getting it makes me think that maybe I didn't press it enough.  It seems a little more moist than the smaller one.
Little bit's of black and green mold, maybe even some yellow.  Other than that, everything seems fine.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
Re: Mold
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 08:50:01 PM »
Brian, your mold could be a lot of things. But the best thing to do is to do what you've already done, either wipe it with vinegar or a heavily salted brine. One problem is once you've wiped it you can't leave it wet, it has to be completely dry.

I've had cheese that had mold that wouldn't go away no matter what I did. The best thing to do is either eat it if it's ready or maybe rewipe the cheese and the brine it again. If it wasn't brined before it really won't hurt it at all just give it a harder rind. You could also rewipe the entire cheese and then use a seal-a-meal to vacuum seal it. It won't age as nicely but oxygen won't get to it.

Brian

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 04:48:17 AM »
Hmmm.........gone for a week and I come back to more mold on the 1 Romano.
It's the "dusty" green mold.  And some spots of black and some streaks of brown and yellow.
Wiped it down with brine water and got most of it off.  Some off it just won't go.  Dry and back on the shelf.  My smaller Romano is fine but is getting s small crack.  Need more humidity I guess.

B

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 05:08:42 AM »
Can you post a pic of your storage area? What's the humidity, the temp and how clean is the area?

FRANCOIS

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 11:00:39 PM »
Just for future refernce, if people search this...that mold is a penicillin and can be killed with grain alcolhol.  Otherwise it is quite prolofic.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 01:33:42 AM »
Thanks Francois. Do you happen to know if that's the same penicillin as the medicine? Or is it just the cheese culture type?

FRANCOIS

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 01:44:45 AM »
Pen. is a very large family, it includes the medicine varities, the fruit mold varieties and the cheese varieties.  I used to use converted fridges for ripened goat cheeses and the contamination was always the fruit kind (green and blue).  It wasn't yummy....

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 03:44:41 AM »
I was just curious because I am allergic to the medicine variety but the cheese culture doesn't bother me.

Jon

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 02:38:58 AM »
Hey Francois, Goat cheese you say. I just made my first goat cheese cheddar and may not have pressed it hard enough. It is slightly open texture but not to bad, however it has started to develop a green spotted mold on it (just). What would you recommend I do?

FRANCOIS

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 09:19:48 PM »
what kind of a rind do you want?  you could cloth bind it and smear with lard, but if the texture is too open it won't work.  if blue finds a way to tunnel in it will.  i enjoy a good natural rind, so I would just wash daily for a week, every other day for two weeks, every other other day for a week then just brush mol down after that.

Jon

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 09:23:41 PM »
Cheers Francois