Author Topic: Cambozola (Accidental) - Wrapping?  (Read 1730 times)

tnsven

Cambozola (Accidental) - Wrapping?
« on: October 31, 2010, 10:10:12 PM »
It was originally a Forme d'Ambert from 200 Easy Cheese Recipes. As with all the blues I've tried, I didn't ripen this one very well.

It got some lovely white mold on it along with the blue. Did I mention I forgot to pierce it after air drying (as per the recipe) and did it a few days after placing it in a ripening box? I thought I might be able to ripen this one in our concrete block tower adjacent to the house. It isn't insulated and Fall temps usually keep this tower in the 50s so I thought it would be good for blues. It was a warmer than normal October.  ::) 

These cheeses (did I mention I couldn't get all the curds into my main cheese press and had to make two smaller ones as well?) have a nice, dry, rather nasty looking rind on them. Oh, they've been sitting in the ripening box in my kitchen uncovered for the last few days. They have a bit of an ammonia smell too.

So I decided to cut one of the little ones open. It has some blue development and the volunteer white mold has started to ripen it around the edges. Lovely! So I think I've got a sort of Cambazola, Tennessee-style.  :)

Now the center paste is still firm and slightly bitter. I'm thinking if I wrap them and let them age a bit longer, they might start to taste good. The question is:

What do I wrap them in?

Foil? Butcher paper? Parchment paper? I also have some fancy cheese wrapping paper for white mold ripened cheeses.  But this cheese doesn't fit a category.

Thanks!

Kristin

anyaga

Re: Cambozola (Accidental) - Wrapping?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 05:46:26 PM »
Hi, Kirsten,

Have you ever figured out what to do with your accidental Cambozola? I am in a very similar situation, also trying to fugure out how to ripen my blue/white moldy cheese.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions!!

Thank you,

Anna

Tomer1

Re: Cambozola (Accidental) - Wrapping?
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 07:22:19 PM »
Age it at around 8c or lower so the PC doesnt amoniate too much and give it a daily walk (some time out of the ripening box to gas off and have some fresh oxygen) to keep the PR in good shape.