Author Topic: Mozz never stretches:  (Read 2546 times)

mightyjesse

Mozz never stretches:
« on: November 02, 2010, 12:27:09 PM »
Hey guys and gals. Someone on this board had pictures of grainy mozz up that looked EXACTLY like mine, but now, for the life of me, I cannot find the post (and therefore the resolution to the problem, if it exists...). To top it off, I can't even remember if their username reminded me of an animal, a vegetable, or a mineral. >_<

I followed http://wacheese.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48:traditional-mozzarella-howto&catid=43:moderate-cook-temp&Itemid=66 this Mozz recipe and used a freshly calibrated ph-meter... Nonetheless, after three attempts, I never seem to get a "stretch" even at the "right" Ph. Anyone know what's going on? I'm using store-bought pasteurized milk that works fine for all my other cheese, M100 and greek yogurt as starter culture, and fresh calf rennet. Here's a picture of my "rescued" curds that never really turned into Mozz:

« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 12:53:31 PM by mightyjesse »

linuxboy

Re: Mozz never stretches:
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 01:56:13 PM »
That looks just like what I get with most store milks. My milk supply is low now that we're in winter lactation, so I made a 2.5 gallon batch using store bought milk yesterday, and it looked like that until I kneaded it and pulled and microwaved a few times. pH was at 5.1 in the curd, 5.3 in the whey. I really had to work it, the curd did not want to come together.

Sometimes it's just the milk's fault.  :(

RenaissanceM

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 08:30:50 PM »
I struggled quite a bit with mozzarella before getting it right. I followed many recipes/times/milks with almost (similar to yours) results until I followed Peter Dixon's recipe (http://www.dairyfoodsconsulting.com/recipes_fresh_mozzarella.shtml). I even had success with your typical homoginized store bought milk.

The distinguishing part of the above recipe from other recipes was the mention of the ph at draining, which is a very crucial milestone for cheese making. Assuming the milk/rennet/culture are not the problem, you should have 100% success rate if you drain the whey at ph of 6, and make sure the curd after draining drops to a min of 5.2. If you find that when you're stirring the curd (in the whey), the curd is losing too much whey, however the ph didn't go down to 6 yet, I would recommend leaving the curd sit in the whey till it goes to 6 (to prevent the curd losing too much moisture), and then drain it.

Insuring that the ph goes down to 6 allows enough CaCl2 to leave the casein micelles (in exchange of H+) therefore weakening their bond. Too much CaCl2 between caseins=strong bond=rubbery (I'm sure linuxboy will correct me if I'm wrong  ;) The CaCl2 can only leave the  casein if the whey is still around. After draining the H+ ions won't be there to replace themselves with the CaCl2. As a rule of thumb that applies to all cheeses:

High ph at draining = rubbery/strong bonds
mid ph at draining = not so rubbery (for lack of a better term)
low ph at draining = crumbly

Of course there are so many other factors after draining that will determine the final texture and behaviour of the cheese. Hope this helps as it helped me why cheeses behave the way they do.

Tea

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 07:35:34 AM »
Thanks for the info here.  In part I agree with LB as the only time I seem to ba able to make mozz/provlone is when I use fresh raw milk.
So... tomorrow I am lucky enough to be picking up some fresh milk from my friend, and I am going to try to do this again.
Fingers crossed, as I don't want to waste this milk.

mightyjesse

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 11:43:07 AM »
I was just given some week old raw milk by a friend. Unfortunately, with the line at the polls, I didn't have time to make anything out of it last night, and when I checked, the ph had already dropped to 6.4 in the week that she'd had it. Should I still try to make mozz out of this? I'm definitely planning to re-culture, but should I do a low temp vat pasteurization first, or do I hope that the curd spinning phase kills everything off? I have a gallon and a half of raw milk here, and I really don't want to waste it...

MrsKK

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 02:02:21 PM »
Mozz is not a good cheese to make with older milk.  The only time I had mozz fail was when I used milk that was about 5-6 days old.  Fresh is much better for mozz.

Older milk is fine for colby or cheddar, though, in my experience.

Tea

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 08:30:04 PM »
I got my hands on 20ltr of fresh raw milk yesterday, so I made MrsK mozz recipe.  I put in some lipase as I also want to make a provolone is I had enough cheese. Had quite a lot of curd, which I wasn't expecting.  As the weather has been rainy and windy, the room temps have been just where I needed them.  The whey is in the fridge, so I am praying that everything is ready to spin this morning.

Will let you know how everything goes.

Tea

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 09:33:44 PM »
I need someones help quickly please.  I have started spinning the cheese, and it is spinning beautifully, but I can't get it to come together as one cheese.  Each cut piece of cheese wants to stay separate.  I have strings everywhere, but no one mass of cheese.  I can't even get it out of the pot in one mass.  What have I done wrong??

Tea

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 04:14:06 AM »
Well I have lost one basket of cheese.  I am beginning to think that the middle of the cheese was not quite ready to spin.
Anyway I don't have any time to play until Sunday, so I have put the rest in the fridge, and will try again then.  Unfortunately I have used up the whey I had reserved, so it will have to be water.

MrsKK

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 10:37:37 AM »
I'm sorry no one was able to help you out.  And sorry that you've lost some of the cheese.  I have had mozz batches that went as long as 5 days.  It will have quite a bit more flavor than the fresher curd produces.  My family isn't too hot on the "more flavor", though, so I try to keep it to 2-3 days if at all possible.

Let us know how it turns out.